Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing Axis(Flip X/Y Axis) on "Table" Visual

Hi Everybody,

Quick question here. I'm using the visualization "Table". It has a Date field and multiple values.

The Values of these columns, such as the acutal dates and actual values, go down vertically. The column headers are sprawled horizontally across the screen. Is there a way to reverse this? Here's what currently is on my table:

Date      Value

1/1/16    1

1/2/16    2

1/3/16    3

Here is what I want:

Date    1/1/16    1/2/16    1/3/16

Value   1             2             3

Edit: I've looked through all of the settings under Fields and Format and couldn't find anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, hmm, I don't think you are going to get there with the out-of-the-box visuals and I did not find any custom visuals that would help. My only suggestion would be to use R to get you there and my R skillz are not world class. But, this link might help:

http://www.cyclismo.org/tutorial/R/tables.html

Let me know if this gets you there.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could try using a matrix visualization and put both Date and Value in Columns (Date on top).

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi smoupre,

Thank you for being helpful as always. I didn't mention that these values are Measurements. It seem that I can't drag them into any field except for Value.

Putting Date into Columns helped, but the issue now is that I can't put the Measurements into the Rows area.

OK, hmm, I don't think you are going to get there with the out-of-the-box visuals and I did not find any custom visuals that would help. My only suggestion would be to use R to get you there and my R skillz are not world class. But, this link might help:

http://www.cyclismo.org/tutorial/R/tables.html

Let me know if this gets you there.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's unfortunate. I'll just keep this as-is was for now and if it's needed I'll try to do this later.

Thanks for the help and the link, much appreciated.

okay looks like this can be done in the Matrix now.

You will need an overall "column" value, single value there, put your item name, date, essentially your primary key there.

Place your "field name rows" in the values fields in the order you want.  You will want to word wrap the column field.

To make this work you must go into formatting and on "Values" select "show on rows".

Turn word wraps on if needed and "auto size column width" off.  Something isnt working correctly I think when you do that. The word wrap starts geting funky.

I noticed "scroll mouse" does not scroll right with this though, kind of makes sense but it a tad annoying.  

Looks like column headers and word wrap really arent working in this mode, which "kind" of makes sense because

each item is now your header and that will change, the "column" headers need to be able to set a determined "width" and word

wrap to that width instead of auto size.

If you change the size of the column, it remembers the column width for that "item" forever, but unless you manually adjust it wont word wrap.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.