Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changed datatype Schema structure in SQL accepted when refresh pbix file for reports

Scenario here is :

I have conneected local SQL server database with mutiple tables and based on those few tables i have loaded in Power bi and prepared reports into one pbix files. But later some one changed datatype for existing column which i haveused in pbix for report and added new records in that table, In that case when i refreshed pbix file not allowing to me refresh and given error.

So is it possible to in Power BI if some one changed schmea structure within database either data type or whatever which also automatically refresh schema structure with new one and replace with old one in pbix file also refresh and changed accepted in Power BI witout any error? or any other option please any one have share with me 
if i connect same pbix file with diffrent server database
but few columns are diffrent in database and datatype as well which is accpeted or not when i connect with pbix with that server and same database which i have locally now on server but few column data type are different when refresh that new schema structure also accpted .  or is any feature in Power BI for that but i am not aware of that please help me in that case.

Thanks 

Ravi Jain

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I have conneected local SQL server database with mutiple tables and based on those few tables i have loaded in Power bi and prepared reports into one pbix files. But later some one changed datatype for existing column which i haveused in pbix for report and added new records in that table, In that case when i refreshed pbix file not allowing to me refresh and given error.

What error did you get? Could you post the detailed error message here?

So is it possible to in Power BI if some one changed schmea structure within database either data type or whatever which also automatically refresh schema structure with new one and replace with old one in pbix file also refresh and changed accepted in Power BI witout any error? or any other option please any one have share with me 
if i connect same pbix file with diffrent server database
but few columns are diffrent in database and datatype as well which is accpeted or not when i connect with pbix with that server and same database which i have locally now on server but few column data type are different when refresh that new schema structure also accpted .  or is any feature in Power BI for that but i am not aware of that please help me in that case.

Based on experience, if there are some changes of schema structure within the database, or there are some differences of schema structure in the new database, you may need to adjust the M query in Editor Query -> Advance Editor of all related queries/tables. Then the refresh should work again. 

So if you still have trouble with this issue, just post the error message you got, and what changes you have made to the schema structure, and the related M query in Advance Editor, we'll try to adjust the M query for you. Smiley Happy

Regards

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous are you in imported mode?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.