Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mohanad-Mustafa
Advocate III
Advocate III

Change% year over year , negative sales amount returns wrong result

Hello Team,

I have this code below that calculates the change of sales percentage between three years, it works very well but I have an issue where if there is a credit or in other words negative sales amount, the change % returns negative value even which is not right.

For example, lets stay on Dec 20th 2020, we had -$10,000 and in 2021, we have $15,000. The change in percantage formula returns this result -33.3% but we acutally made more sales in 2021 so why is it showin negative value?

Code: 

Change% =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Calendar'[Date]),
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE(
            SUM('Sales'[Total Sales]),
            DATEADD('Calendar'[Date], -1, YEAR)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(SUM('Sales'[Total Sales]) - __PREV_YEAR,__PREV_YEAR)
)

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks a lot

Mohanad 
6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Mohanad-Mustafa , if year is not in context, then it means full data vs 1year less data

You can try options like

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

//Only year vs Year, not a level below

This Year = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])))
Last Year = CALCULATE(sum('Table'[Qty]),filter(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year])-1))

@amitchandak , thanks for your reply. I am trying to calcualte the percentage change , thats why I used variables and division to get the percentage, now do you think if I use the absolute function, that should get rid of the - sign in my code?

Hi @Mohanad-Mustafa ,

I think absolute function can help you get rid of the - sign.

Try this code.

Change% =
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Sales'[Total Sales] ),
            DATEADD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -1, YEAR )
        )
    RETURN
        ABS ( DIVIDE ( SUM ( 'Sales'[Total Sales] ) - __PREV_YEAR, __PREV_YEAR ) )
)

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply, yes it did but the problem its not showing the negative sign when we have less sales year over year and the team wants to see the negative sign when the result it less. So unfortuatnetly, the abs sign doesn't help me in this case

Hi @Mohanad-Mustafa ,

I think you can add a If function to show negative result if sales in current year is less than sales in previous year.

My Sample:

1.png

New Measure:

Change% = 
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( 'Calendar'[Date] ),
    VAR __PREV_YEAR =
        CALCULATE (
            SUM ( 'Sales'[Total Sales] ),
            DATEADD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -1, YEAR )
        )
    VAR _CUR_YEAR =
        SUM ( 'Sales'[Total Sales] )
    VAR _DIFF = _CUR_YEAR - __PREV_YEAR
    VAR _DIVIDE =
        DIVIDE ( _DIFF, __PREV_YEAR )
    RETURN
        IF ( _DIFF > 0, ABS ( _DIVIDE ), ABS ( _DIVIDE )*-1)
)

Result is as below.

Current Year: 2021/12/20 15000, Previous Year: 2021/12/21 10000

2.png

Current Year: 2021/12/21 10000, Previous Year: 2021/12/21 15000

1.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the effort and your kind reply, but this is didn'twork for me unfortuantely, when I used your code, I don't get any results. Unfortuantely, I can't share the data with you as it is sensitive. 

So the result is empty when I use your code, I am showing the sales over three years using Matrix visual dashboard in Power BI so the user can see the sales year over year easily in a simple table where the client accounts are in rows and the sales amounts and years in columns. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.