Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change visual types with slicer

Hi All,

I am relatively new with Power BI Desktop. I am working on a task in which you have a slicer that contains a list of different visual types, and based on the value selected, the visual type should change. I was searching for the solution on the site, but I could not find any, and I am looking for some pointers for this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Don't think you can do that directly via a slicer.  However, it should be easy enough to put together using the bookmarks and view selection features.  You make your 3 or more visuals and overlay them and connect your "slicer" to bookmarked pages.  As each slicer button is selected, two (or more) visuals are hidden and the selected one is shown.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Anonymous

" slicer that contains a list of different visual types  " what does this mean actually. Does your slicer have something like

Line Chart

Table

Matrix

Can you provide a snip/screenshot of the data that you have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the slicer should have different visual types like bar chart, pie chart, map, or table ... Something like this

https://ibb.co/kxpNYG

https://ibb.co/eXuT7b

So if I click on Map, it should take me to total sales by country in form of a map. Or if click on Pie Chart, it should display sales by country in form of a pie chart

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Don't think you can do that directly via a slicer.  However, it should be easy enough to put together using the bookmarks and view selection features.  You make your 3 or more visuals and overlay them and connect your "slicer" to bookmarked pages.  As each slicer button is selected, two (or more) visuals are hidden and the selected one is shown.  Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it figured out. Thank you so much for the help!

@Anonymous

I have a similar problem. Not sure how to proceed. Can you please help me out.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@khitishBasically I enabled Bookmark feature in Power BI desktop. You can look at October release of Power BI to figure it out. Then I created two bookmarks, first one showing map reports and hide tables, the second bookmark showing only tables and hide maps. Finally I created linking on a toggle-on button image in the first bookmark(which you can download the images anywhere) then link this to the second bookmark. On the second bookmark I created linking on a toggle off button which will take you to the first bookmark. The same concepts can also be applied when you have mutiple types of reports you want to dynamically select. Let me know if it helps

@AnonymousCould you share your file wi the community? Thank you very much!

@Anonymous

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I am in the process of trying your method. In the meantime, I am posting my exact requirement, if you can suggest me some better ideas.

My requirement is to generate multiple graphs dynamically. For example, every time I filter an item in a slicer, for each item, a separate bar graph/pie chart should get generated.
So once a user selects 2 values in a slicer. There will be 2 graphs plotted on the dashboard. Again, if the user selects 3 additional values in the slicer, there should be 3 additional graphs generated. All total 5 graphs should get displayed on the dashboard.

Hi Nick,

I have a similar problem. Not sure how to proceed. Can you please help me out.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.