Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlexeyRusinov
Helper II
Helper II

Change type of data source

Hello everyone,

Our company is thinking of moving from CRM on-premise to CRM online, which means for Power BI completely changing of it's architecture.
Is there a way to keep the report design and visuals, and change data source from on-premise SSAS database to CRM online connector?
I saw this topic, but it's about changing data source within the same type, not my situation. Is there any way to keep the report and change data source to different type?

Please help,
Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AlexeyRusinov,

As you are using “Connect Live” option to connect to SSAS database, there’s no method to get codes in Advanced Editor or change source to CRM online.

In your scenario, you would need  to connect to CRM online data source in new Power BI Desktop file and re-create the entire report.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisCollao
Frequent Visitor

Maybe this video can help to others who are confused like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8dJ--ktU4c

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the table structure going to be the same?  If so, go into the "Edit Queries" area and find each of your tables.  Clicking on each table you can edit the Power Query code by selecting "Advanced Editor".

The first row of code after "Let" should be something like "Source = .....".  If you update this to point to the new data source then what should happen is your tables will just update and your reports should be happy.  If the field names change, you could modify them here inside the Query Editor before applying.

Ok so if you aren't much for Power Query you might be thinking "How would i know what to write after 'source ='???".  Well what i'd do is click on "New Source" instead, link your new CRM location like it was a new table.  Power BI will write the Power Query for you!  Then you can simply take the line(s) of code you need and paste them over the top.  Of course just remember to delete any new sources you created.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I found the appropriate answer.

> Is the table structure going to be the same?  If so, go into the "Edit Queries" area and find each of your tables.  Clicking on each table you can edit the Power Query code by selecting "Advanced Editor".

I will make table structure same, yes. But my source PBIX, which I want to modify, is using live connection to on-premise source. So in Edit Queries section I can only change the data source:

edit queries.jpg

Hi @AlexeyRusinov,

As you are using “Connect Live” option to connect to SSAS database, there’s no method to get codes in Advanced Editor or change source to CRM online.

In your scenario, you would need  to connect to CRM online data source in new Power BI Desktop file and re-create the entire report.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.