Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sperry
Resolver I
Resolver I

Change the measure result if I change the explain by categories decomposition tree

Hello

I have found this solution to the calculating a % of subtotal for a decompostion tree but this doesn't work if I want to show values of the end 'explain by' category first. Here is the link to the example model.

Example

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perfect..slight modification

Percentage by Category = 

VAR CurrentRegion = VALUES(Combined[Region])
VAR CurrentDHB = VALUES(Combined[DHB_name])
VAR PopulationForCurrentSelection = SUM(Combined[Population])
VAR TotalPopulation =

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

ISINSCOPE(Combined[DHB_name]),CALCULATE(SUM(Combined[Population]),ALLSELECTED(Combined),Combined[Region] IN CurrentRegion),
ISINSCOPE(Combined[Region]),CALCULATE(SUM(Combined[Population]),ALLSELECTED(Combined))
)

RETURN
IF(
ISINSCOPE(Combined[Region]),
DIVIDE(PopulationForCurrentSelection,TotalPopulation),
[Percentage of NZ Population]
)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sperry what do you mean by "if I want to show values of the end 'explain by' category first"?

The population model attached is broken down into subnational regions to 2 geographic levels, Region and District Health Board. The report entitled 'Decomposition Tree - Region & DHB' works as expected.

sperry_0-1609958323607.png

So the Midland Region is broken down by DHB by 'resetting' the parent to 100%.

The second report entitled 'Decomposition Tree - DHB only' shows what happens if Region is removed or not included;

sperry_1-1609958580092.png

I need a way of making the DHB level use the 'Total Population' as the parent and denominator, sum each DHB population as the numerator to provide a DHB as a % of the total population.

and this is the measure;

Percentage by Category =

VAR TotalPopulation =

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

ISINSCOPE(Combined[DHB_name]),CALCULATE(SUM(Combined[Population]),ALLSELECTED(Combined),Combined[Region] IN CurrentRegion),
ISINSCOPE(Combined[Region]),CALCULATE(SUM(Combined[Population]),ALLSELECTED(Combined))
)

RETURN
IF(

)

Hi @sperry 

Your measure has this at the end...that's why it's reporting 100% for everything.  What if you delete the stuff in green?

littlemojopuppy_0-1609961999918.png

Yeah - unfortunately tried that and it breaks the top of heirarchy;

sperry_0-1609962400377.png

😫  dammit.

Sorry...I'm not very familiar with that visualization.  If I tried to help, I'd probably end up screwing it up more on you

haha all good..yup - frustrating me as I know that the second clause in the if statement is what's breaking it - just don't know how to resolve.

Question...how should it be calculated?

Reason I'm asking is that maybe a solution could be to create a measure for what you have now (removing the conditional).  Another measure for how it should be calculated with the different level.  And then a third measure that you'll actually put in the report that's essentially 

SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    ISINSCOPE(Combined[Region]), [Region Measure],
    ISINSCOPE(Combined[DHB_name], [A Different Measure],
    (continue as necessary)
)

If nothing else, it would simplify having to maintain the individual calculations 🙂

Ooo I'l give that a go - hadn't thought of that. It should be using the category 'DHB_name' to divide the DHB population by the total population .

Maybe I could help after all 🙂

Perfect..slight modification

Percentage by Category = 

VAR TotalPopulation =

SWITCH(

TRUE(),

)

RETURN
IF(
[Percentage of NZ Population]
)

Woohoo!!!  Mark yours as the solution!  🙂

will do - hmmm to kudos or not to kudos 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.