Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abadill
Resolver I
Resolver I

Change text column to date the month name is required

Hey, good.

I hope you can help me. In my original data I have a column ST_FECHA_INGRESO with date information in dd/mm/yyyy format, the power BI does not recognize me this field as type date but as text. I go to the query and try to modify the data type to change it from text to date but it gives me errror.

What I need at the end is to have a column that tells me the name of the month of entry date. Month name on date not number.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello @abadill ,

as Power Query reads the first 2 digits as Month, this results in an error, since 30 is not a valid numeric representation ( 1 - 12). Power Query needs a tip on how to read column values.

Maybe this article gives you the necessary clue: https://radacad.com/flawless-date-conversion-in-power-query

Best regards
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

Thank you very much I was able to solve my query.

😃

Thank you

Andrea

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @abadill ,

see my approach to your question in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Change-the-text-column-to-the-date-the-month-name-is-requir...

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hello Tom,

I followed the link steps you shared with me. In the query I have already changed the type of text to date but I get some information boxes with errors

The column I'm reviewing is the one with the name ST_FECAPROBVTA. There what I need is for me to appear for example on line 63 the name of the month that would be January

imagen.png

Hey @abadill ,

can you please provide a screenshot, of the lines before you try to change the data type.

I'm wondering about the value in the rows that result to an error.

What locale (culture) did you use during the process I described.

Please consider creating a pbix that contains sample data, upload the pbix to onedrive or dropbox, and share the link.

As we are discussing a data transformation issue it will become necessary, that you also have to provide a source file (csv), that contains some sample records. Also, upload the csv file to onedrive or dropbox.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I used a region of culture. Spanish (Ecuador )

imagen.png

Hello @abadill ,

as Power Query reads the first 2 digits as Month, this results in an error, since 30 is not a valid numeric representation ( 1 - 12). Power Query needs a tip on how to read column values.

Maybe this article gives you the necessary clue: https://radacad.com/flawless-date-conversion-in-power-query

Best regards
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you very much I was able to solve my query.

😃

Thank you

Andrea

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.