Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vivek_J_UL

Change query from one to another without losing the reports

Hello,

I'm new to Power BI and have recently built a set of reports. They are all based on one query/ table (Let's call this Table A) sourced from an Excel sheet (lets call this Excel A). Now, after a few months, I have reached end of limit for Excel A (max no. of rows reached).

Now I would like to add a New append query (lets call it Table Z) from Table B, C, D etc to be refreshed from Excel B, C/ D.. etc respectively as and when they become full.

Now, since my current reports are based on Table A, I would like to point them to the new Append Query (Table Z) without losing the reports. Could someone please guide me how to achieve this?

On the long term, I would like migrate the data to a database like MS SQL Server. But, that would be a different solution and would like that challenge parked for now.  My immediate need is to change the existing reports to pull data from Table Z instead of Table A.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vivek_J_UL ,

Before appending tables, you could insert into a custom column each table in the query editor to show the time.

1-1.PNG

And this column can be used as a flag to show if it is the latest data.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-eachen-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that is not required. When I followed any approach (Appending Table B into Table A or Creating a new Append Table Z containing rows of Table A and Table B), I could see all rows as required in table view.

But when the new records (I can indentify them because there is already a timestamp field in them), are not seen in the reports which were originally built on Table A.

Thanks,

Vivek

judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Vivek_J_UL 

You can append other tables into Table A.

This would mean you dont need to change anything in the report.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

Hi @judspud 

Thank you for your reply. I tried this already. Unfortunately, when I did this, though I could view the appended records (from Table B into Table A, when checking in Data view), the new records are not identified nor reflected in the reports.

Thanks,

Vivek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.