Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wsbPowerBI

Change ownership of a published report

I created a report and published the report to a workspace. I added a person as a member to the workspace and shared the report with that user.  However, when publishing the report, the workspace is showing as the owner of the report.  How can I change the ownership of the report?  I need to change the ownership of the report, so the member that I added can setup an email subscription.  Currently, it will not allow them because it says they're not the owner.  BTW - I have reviewed other posted Q&A, however, the solutions provided are not available to simply change ownership.  The only thing I found was permissions for 'Read' and 'Read and reshare'.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wsbPowerBI,

Based on my research, it it not possbile to change ownership of published report currently. There is an idea about that and PG has already  started work on allowing Power BI Service Admins (and other Office 365 global admins) to add new users to existing personal or app workspaces. 

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wsbPowerBI,

Based on my research, it it not possbile to change ownership of published report currently. There is an idea about that and PG has already  started work on allowing Power BI Service Admins (and other Office 365 global admins) to add new users to existing personal or app workspaces. 

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

What is then the method to deal with users who leave a company?

In our case the user was the one who created several reports and dashboards, which are shared to a lot of people in the company.

How can I (as global admin) keep those reports available for all the users? Especially if those reports are embedded in Dynamics 365 Dashboards and other portals?

A simple checkout in PowerBI desktop and upload with a new user will not do the trick, all sharing and integration will become broken.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly the same problem we have.

The developer who created many reports and dashboards left and now we cannot touch those reports again.

They are already shared with many managers and alot of users are relying on them.

What can we do here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not ideal by any means, but can you not ask your IT to revive the account, change the password so you can get in?

Once in, for each report, download the .pbix file and then upload it via a generic "reporting" account so that you can then share out the reports again to all who needs them (also a good little clean up time for unused reports 🙂 ). That way, you recover what you have and also remove the issue of this happening again.

Just the obvious trade off is that someone has to own the upload and sharing of reports created to keep it there, or share the account, but i wouldnt recommend sharing as it would mean data is available to all.

Hope that helps

POC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for th workaround idea. It is great and i can solve the problem now.

We never delete user accounts even after they leave so this approach is acheivable. If some other Company deletes their users after they leave it will not be possible though.

Microsoft should give PBI admins ability to view all reports that are published by ALL the users in the company and ability to change ownership and also see who each report has access to it so we can manage it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the ownership/permissions does need some work.

If they attached it to something like rolebased groups in AD, that would really be useful taking it to the next level 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey All, 

Slight update.

I now publish reports from a singular account so all ownership is on one generic account and not allocated to someone. Then, we share access via Role Based groups and Security Groups. This then means, when someone leaves, whomever replaces them gets instand access if they are given the correct role based group / security group. 

Removes the need to move this stuff around.

I hope it helps someone!

Many Thanks

POC

Thanks for this reply. I just came across this issue this week so I'm looking around for the current state of the issue. If you have a minute, would you provide a little detail on the "generic user" and security setup you created? Are you talking about a generic account in AD? Thanks!

Thanks a million!

Hi @wsbPowerBI,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors