Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change one drive data source and keep everything

Hi all

I have a question that i am not sure if its possible to perform

One of my colleaguews has to hand over to me a report of power bi that is created through a one drive folder , i want to keep all queries, all appends, merges, visualizations etc.

I have created one folder in my one drive with the same tree as him and with the same files.

Then I go to change data source settings - and change it from \\ his one drive/ folder/ folder , to \\my one drive/folder/folder.

It thinks a lot and give me a lot of errors and all the tables with a yellow triangle... so... what i am doing wrong? is possible to do this way or i have to re do all the dashboard from scratch?

Thanks!!

César 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In desktop, open the "Edit Queries" dialog box.

Click on the query in question.

In the "Applied Steps" box on the right Click the Gear icon

It will open a dialog box that has a browse option next to the file path.

You should be able to browse for a new file and keep all of the subsequent steps there. Every noe and then it duplicates some of the steps that Power BI Automates such as Promoted Headers and Changed Type so you may have to click the "x" next to those steps to remove the duplicate steps.

If this works please accept it as teh solution. I'm almost to my next badge 😁

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this:

1. Change data sources.

2. Clear permissions.

3. Apply changes.

change data sources.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

All steps go ok until i arrive to the step Expanded table column and voi la... error

An error occurred in the ‘Sample File’ query. Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.
Details:
[Table]

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

usually, it could be a Permission question. you just need to apply changes 

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I have done this multiple times with no problem. I assume you are doing it in Power BI Desktop. You can't change the file path in the gateway or Power BI Service. So you will have to change all of them in Power BI desktop, republish the file, and then update the credentials in the Gateway.

I suggest using the browse function when changing the source instead of just trying to type the change in the query editor to make sure it is completely correct.

If this works for you please accept it as the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is the error

An error occurred in the ‘Sample File’ query. Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.
Details:
[Table]

In desktop, open the "Edit Queries" dialog box.

Click on the query in question.

In the "Applied Steps" box on the right Click the Gear icon

It will open a dialog box that has a browse option next to the file path.

You should be able to browse for a new file and keep all of the subsequent steps there. Every noe and then it duplicates some of the steps that Power BI Automates such as Promoted Headers and Changed Type so you may have to click the "x" next to those steps to remove the duplicate steps.

If this works please accept it as teh solution. I'm almost to my next badge 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is strange , I am doing in advanced editor and give me a lot of errors , algo when you go to advanced editor the other one drive folder is still in some queries

Where is the browse button ?

Sorry for these rookie questions

Also the other one drive I have only permissions in the folder of the csv sheets , not in the root

Thanks !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.