Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

twintrbl
Advocate I
Advocate I

Change number format (decimals) for each visual

I know we can change number formats to control how many decimals show for any given measure, but it doesn't look like we can change that format on different visuals. For example - in one visual I might want my measure to be Currency with 2 decimal points (in a table, for example). But in another one (such as a card visual or a tooltip for a bar chart), I want it with zero decimal points.  I could create a second measure and have one with decimals and one without, but that's a real waste to have to duplicate things that way (and maintain them!).  

Any other ideas for how to do this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I made an animated gif.

Decimals.gif

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

That looks like a good suggestion for the Power BI Team! Is there a place to suggest that?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@twintrbl 

Hi, if you mantain the Decimals in AUTO in the measure, you can change in every visual that you use it. (Format General)

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde  I can't get the measure to stay "Auto" for the decimals if the Data Type is set to Decimals. It defaults to 2. The only way to keep the decimals set to Auto seemed to be to leave it as General Data Format - which means I lose my commas. Also, when I did that, I couldn't figure out where I would change the decimals (and add commas, preferably) in the different visuals. The card visual allows you to change number formats, but the tables don't have a setting for the value decimal places. I found it on a matrix under field formatting, but it was set to "Auto" and grayed out so I couldn't change it. And the tooltips definitely don't give you an option for how to format the numbers that it presents.

This is such a basic kind of formatting function, it is hard to understand why it's so difficult to find or change it or why it's so restricted.  I figured I wouldn't be the only one who had trouble with this, so surely there was already a solution, and I just hadn't found it yet.... 

@twintrbl 

The table visual had a Field Formatting.  Look a put the decimals, and could change in the visual.

13.png

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde  The option for changing the Value decimal places in the Field formatting section is grayed out. Eveni f I change the display units to Thousands, the Value decimal places is still grayed out. Nor do I see any options in the toolbars...  You can see in the screenshot below that when I formatted the measure to General, it looks horrible now - it has a mixed number of decimals and there is no thousands separator. I've been hunting, but I can't find anywhere that I could change the number format to add the comma and change it to force two decimals for this one table. What am I missing? Is there a setting somewhere else that I'm overlooking?

decimalformatting.png

@twintrbl 

Hi, just enter the number of decimals of you desire. Don't work using the up and down arrows.

img.png

Lima - Peru

I made an animated gif.

Decimals.gif

Lima - Peru

Thanks, spent some time looking for this in the formatting menu - it is well hidden 🙂

@Vvelarde  WOW! I'm floored! When that box was grayed out, I assumed it meant it wasn't editable. That's pretty standard functionality over the last... what, 15 years? But you were totally right - I just tried it, and it works perfectly to just type a number in there.

Now I'm going to start trying to override all kinds of things that are grayed out, just to see what Microsoft might be hiding!

Thank you so much!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.