Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dphillips
Helper IV
Helper IV

Change multiple rows to one column with delimiter

I am trying to do the opposite of split column. I have 2 columns - 1 with an ID and the other with a group code. At the moment the column looks like below. An ID may have multiple rows. I want to have only one row for each ID and put each of the different codes in the second column with a delimiter of some sort eg a comma. See second table. 

IDGroupCode
1@STFP
2@STFP
3@STFP
4@STFP
5@CRD
5@STFP
6@STFP
7@CRD
7@PAY
7@STFP
8@STFP
9@STFP
10@STFP
10STFP
11@STFP
12@PAYP
12@STFP
13@PF
13@STFP
13STFP
14@STFP
15@STFP
16@STFP
17@STFP
18@STFP
19@STFP
20@STFP
21@CRD
21@PAYP
21@STFP
21STFP
22@STFP
23@STFP
24@STFP
25@STFP
25STFP

I want the data to look like this:

IDGroupCode
1@STFP
2@STFP
3@STFP
4@STFP
5@CRD, @STFP
6@STFP
7@CRD, @PAY, @STFP
8@STFP
9@STFP
10@STFP, STFP
11@STFP
12@PAYP, @STFP
13@PF, @STFP, STFP
14@STFP
15@STFP
16@STFP
17@STFP
18@STFP
19@STFP
20@STFP
21@CRD, @PAYP, @STFP, STFP
22@STFP
23@STFP
24@STFP
25@STFP
25STFP
26@PAYP

What is the simplest/best way of doing this? How can I transform my data?

Finally, I would love to have a slicer which has all the unique group codes, and, when filtering, will return all the rows which have that code in, even if it is just one of the groups codes out of 2 or 3 or 4? eg If I filter on @CRD  it will return rows 5, 7 and 21. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @MAwwad for the info and have managed to work out exactly what to do myself. As suggested, I grouped the data by ID and used the "All Rows" aggregation. Then I removed the first column.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.RemoveColumns([Codes],"ID"))

Then I transposed that single column:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each Table.Transpose([Custom]))

I then expanded this table using all fields - this gave me 6 columns as the person with the most Groupcodes had 6 of them.

Then I simply merged those 6 columns using Text.Combine:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Custom.1", "AllCodes", each Text.Combine({[Custom.1.Column1], [Custom.1.Column2], [Custom.1.Column3], [Custom.1.Column4], [Custom.1.Column5], [Custom.1.Column6]}, ","), type text)

Finally - I removed all the other columns and this left me with the result I needed:

= Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{"Codes", "Custom", "Custom.1.Column1", "Custom.1.Column2", "Custom.1.Column3", "Custom.1.Column4", "Custom.1.Column5", "Custom.1.Column6"})

My problem, now, is how to filter the column which has merged values, using just one of those values.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dphillips
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thanks @MAwwad. No problems grouping by the ID column but not sure about the "Join Values" option. Where / how do I do that? I can't see that option anywhere. See below where I am at the moment. I have grouped by ID and have used the All Rows aggregation. I can't see the join values option to concatenate values. The final "Column" in the second screenshot is always greyed out. 

Join Values.pngGroup By.png

Thanks @MAwwad for the info and have managed to work out exactly what to do myself. As suggested, I grouped the data by ID and used the "All Rows" aggregation. Then I removed the first column.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.RemoveColumns([Codes],"ID"))

Then I transposed that single column:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each Table.Transpose([Custom]))

I then expanded this table using all fields - this gave me 6 columns as the person with the most Groupcodes had 6 of them.

Then I simply merged those 6 columns using Text.Combine:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Custom.1", "AllCodes", each Text.Combine({[Custom.1.Column1], [Custom.1.Column2], [Custom.1.Column3], [Custom.1.Column4], [Custom.1.Column5], [Custom.1.Column6]}, ","), type text)

Finally - I removed all the other columns and this left me with the result I needed:

= Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{"Codes", "Custom", "Custom.1.Column1", "Custom.1.Column2", "Custom.1.Column3", "Custom.1.Column4", "Custom.1.Column5", "Custom.1.Column6"})

My problem, now, is how to filter the column which has merged values, using just one of those values.

Arul
Super User
Super User

@dphillips ,

try the below code in measure,

Concatenatex = 
CALCULATE(
    CONCATENATEX(Code,Code[GroupCode],","),
    ALLEXCEPT(Code,Code[ID]))

Arul_0-1676374292313.png

Thanks,

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

You can use Power Query in Excel or Power BI to achieve this. Here are the steps:

1. Select the table and load it into Power Query.
  2. Group the table by the ID column, and then use the "All Rows" aggregation option on the GroupCode column.
  3. Use the "Join Values" option to concatenate the values in the GroupCode column with a delimiter of your choice.
  4. Load the transformed table back into Excel or Power BI.

For the slicer, you can create a new slicer based on the GroupCode column and set it to "Single Select" mode. When you select a value in the slicer, it will filter the table to show only the rows that contain that value in the GroupCode column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.