Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joannakrajewska
Regular Visitor

Change language in date (year, month, day)

Hi,

how can I change language of the herarchical date values in UI?

It's in Polish right now and I would like to change it to English.  Is it even possible? 

powerbi.png

how I would like it to be in English: 

powerbi2.png

I've changed language in regional settings from Polish to English but it did not have any effect. 

I'm stuck, please help. 

26 REPLIES 26
coco6l
Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a simple solution I found for changing the language format of dates in Power BI reports. This method worked effectively for me:

1. Go to File.
  2. Select Options and settings.
  3. Choose Options.
  4. In the Regional settings tab, under File locale, select the desired language for your date format.

I hope this helps anyone facing the same issue. Feel free to share your feedback or questions!

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello! I have the problem that only for chart types that are Columns or stacked columns the date format is not cmabia, but it does for tables and other graphs. I already set the regional settings to "English" and the whole computer to English.

FlorS_0-1678292284014.png

FlorS_1-1678292292371.png

Thank you!

Namora

Hi! Here's a simple solution:

Month Name = SWITCH([Data].[Month], "September", "Setembro", "October", "Outubro","November", "Novembro", "December", "Dezembro", "January", "Janeiro", "February", "Fevereiro", "March", "Março", "April", "Abril", "May", "Maio", "June", "Junho", "July", "Julho", "August", "Agosto")

In this case, English to Portuguese, but it´s just a matter of changing to fit the model.
jordisc97
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I solved this issue by going to "Date Settings" in Windows and changing the regional format to English. Restart Power BI and there you have it.

Cheers,

Jordi SC

Thank you!!! Finally it worked! 

aal
Regular Visitor

Hi!

I am not sure if I am correct, but what if this part of Power BI depends on the Operating system's language?

I wanted to change it too, but none of the solutions succeeded.

Do you think that I am right?

Thanks,

Alex

Civis

H, 

The only way I found is to change the regional settings to the language you need. To be exact you have to change the Regional Format. In this case, even the old graphics will show you the date in other languages. 

But in the same time if you client will be using his own computer to check the data - he will see the dates in the language he speaks. 

Civis_0-1595283131232.png

Cheers, 

Ivan

handefeyzioglu

Hello, 

I have same problem. How can you solve it ?

handefeyzioglu

Hello,

I have a same problem. How you can solve it ? plaese help me

agnaldocarmo
Frequent Visitor

You will need re-install PowerBi Desktop in english version, on this link you can select the language before to start the download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

I have the same problem.

Reinstall don´t work, appear the problem is in .pbix file

My option file is changed to local file in portuguese, but the problem persist....

My date is in french 😛 

Hi,

I have same problem, i created date in power query, and then i loaded to power bi, but all date is different language i would like to change to English how can i solve this problem ?

help me !

I have the same problem.

Reinstall don´t work, appear the problem is in .pbix file

My option file is changed to local file in portuguese, but the problem persist....

My date is in french 😛 

tomerfaith
Frequent Visitor

I Have a Temporary Solution:
-Have a Date Table 
-Create 4 calculated columns  - one with year , one with quarter , one with month  and one with day. 
-Create a custome heirarchy  
-Place all the date elements you created in the heirarchy in the righ order
-Use this Heirarchy instead of the date you were using

You are Done!! Smiley Happy

If anyone need help regarding this or somthing else you can Message me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tomerfaith Thanks! This worked Very well for me!!

BIman
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem.

My PowerBI was in French but I updated it by using the English Version.

Now when I create a new PowerBI Report, I can make the date hierachy values display in English but not for previous reports made using the French Version.

2017-05-26_11-22-55.png

Could you please help me ?

Regards,

Vincent

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joannakrajewska,

I am not able to see the images that you upload as they are corrupted. How do you store date values in your dataset and do you use English version of Power BI Desktop? Do you store date values as Polish format and you want to change them in English when creating reports in Power BI Desktop? If that is the case, there is no direct method to achieve this requirement in Power BI Desktop, you would need to store the date values in English format in order to display them in English in visuals.

In your scenario,  you can consider to utilize some translation tools/functions such as Microsoft Translator - Text Translation to make your source date values to be in English format, then create reports with English. For more details, please review this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQ4BZmtseo .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft and thanks for your answer.

My dataset is a json file, dates are stored as dateTime and recognized as dateTime in powerBi. The dateset is not a problem beacuse if I create complety new powerBi project (and set language as English in settings) everything appreas as I want it to be. 

I've fixed the images, maybe now you will get better idea what I have in mind. Thanks!

Hi @joannakrajewska,

Do you use English version of Power BI Desktop? In your scenario, to make the date hierachy values display in Engilsh, the date field in your data source should be stored in English rather than Polish. 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft, I am using English version of Power BI Desktop and the date field is stored in English (If I create new project the date hierarchy values are in English). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.