Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmcthayer

Change how data is formatted to allow multiple columns worth of data to be visualized in one bar cha

I have a massive patient data set that is formatted in a way that works for almost everything.  This patient data set has annonymized data from about 310,000 patients, and there are columns for multiple diseases as well as demographics for each patient.  I need to be able to visualize all "Symptoms" in one chart - but currently I have the data set up so that each symptom is it's own column.  I want this data to be able to correlate with some other columns which is why I have not just pulled the symptoms data to show in aggregate.  For example, there is an additional column with "Sex" and I want the chart to be able to be filtered by that.  Is this possible to this detail level of data?  Currently I have multiple bar charts stacked on top of each other which is fine, but it means the user cannot sort and has to just view it as I set it up (in this case alphabetically).  This data

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

A couple of things:

Power BI visuals are limited not necessarily by the amount of data they can process, but more by the physiological limits. For example bar charts or line charts only show a maximum of 12 bars or lines even if you have many more  legend values. You will also see an "i"  icon to indicate that grouping is happening if you have "too many"  fact values.

lbendlin_0-1623532362721.png

Have a look at the decomposition tree visual, or use the Q&A visual to explore your data in a more meaningful way.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

A couple of things:

Power BI visuals are limited not necessarily by the amount of data they can process, but more by the physiological limits. For example bar charts or line charts only show a maximum of 12 bars or lines even if you have many more  legend values. You will also see an "i"  icon to indicate that grouping is happening if you have "too many"  fact values.

lbendlin_0-1623532362721.png

Have a look at the decomposition tree visual, or use the Q&A visual to explore your data in a more meaningful way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.