Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change header table in Power BI Desktop

hi,

I created a report in Power BI Desktop and then published this report in Service.

The data source is a sharepoint list.

I want to change the titles of the header from "process" to "processnames" in one table header.

When I rename the column in the query editor, the report on BI Service does not apply this change.

I changed the table header in the sharepoint list from "process" to "processnames" as well.

When I refresh the data in Desktop, I receive the following error message:

Skjermbilde 2021-07-29 125026.png

When I now try to refresh the dataset in BI Service, it doesn't work any longer.

How can I rename column headers in Desktop?

Kind regards

Ann

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

If I rename the column in Power BI Desktop I still get the following error message below.

This is strange, because I renamed the columns both in Desktop and in the data source in Sharepoint back from "processname" to "process".

Skjermbilde 2021-07-30 090856.png

Hi @Anonymous 

I have a test on this issue and I find though you rename the column name in Sharepoint, in Power BI will still show the original column.

I add a Process column in Sharepoint Document.

1.png

Get data by connecting to sharepoint online list. I find Process column.

2.png

Then I change the column name Process to Processnames in Sharepoint, then I refresh desktop, I still get Process column instead of Processname column.

Now I try your another, I rename Process to Processnames in Desktop by myself. Then I republish this report to Service. Due to the data source is sharepoint we just need to configure credentials correctly then we can refresh the dataset in Service. I refresh report in desktop and service. It works well. You can see as below, they change from A to C.

In desktop:

4.png

In Service:

5.png

Please check whether you build some relationships between process column in desktop and whether you configure the credential correctly in service.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if you  rename and change in power bi, it should propagate, You can republish and clear cache and check on power bi service

rename of the column at SharePoint means the old column name is not available. I think that is causing the issue

refer if this can help

How to Deal with Column Rename at Source: https://youtu.be/meUxcbwujl8

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.