Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change default fiscal year

Hi,

I am working on a July - June Fiscal year. I have a date column. I tried using the native Fiscal year transformation on this date to get the FY, but I do not see a way to change the FY from the default calendar year. Any way to do this?

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'm curious what native fiscal year transformation you're referring to. I'm not aware of that in Power Query or DAX.

That being said, it's trivial to add a fiscal year field in Power Query as a custom field:

FiscalYear =
let
  CYear = Date.Year( [Date] )
  ,FYear =
    if Date.Month( [Date] ) > 6
    then CYear + 1
    else CYear
in
  FYear

let simply defined a local namespace for us to work in.

We assign CYear to the value of the calendar year for the date on the current row we're working on. This is only to avoid repetition of the function (which just leads to line noise). Then we assign FYear to the result of the if statement - if the (calendar) month number is > 6, then we know it belongs in the fiscal year that is 1 greater than the calendar year, else it's the same as the calendar year.

Out of our let-statement namespace, we return the value of FYear.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

FiscalYear = if([Date].[MonthNo] > 6,[Date].[Year] & "-" & [Date].[Year]+1,[Date].[Year]-1 & "-" &[Date].[Year])
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'm curious what native fiscal year transformation you're referring to. I'm not aware of that in Power Query or DAX.

That being said, it's trivial to add a fiscal year field in Power Query as a custom field:

FiscalYear =
let
  CYear = Date.Year( [Date] )
  ,FYear =
    if Date.Month( [Date] ) > 6
    then CYear + 1
    else CYear
in
  FYear

let simply defined a local namespace for us to work in.

We assign CYear to the value of the calendar year for the date on the current row we're working on. This is only to avoid repetition of the function (which just leads to line noise). Then we assign FYear to the result of the if statement - if the (calendar) month number is > 6, then we know it belongs in the fiscal year that is 1 greater than the calendar year, else it's the same as the calendar year.

Out of our let-statement namespace, we return the value of FYear.

If you are doing this in Power BI Desktop then the formula you want is:
Fiscal Year = if(MONTH([DATE]) > 6, YEAR([DATE])+1, YEAR([DATE]))

How would you get this to show the qtr number if you have a fiscal year that starts in July?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I actually should have said "Quarter" transformation under the date&time transform in query editor. However, this quarter seems to assume a calendar year, not a fiscal year with a july start. But your solution gets me on my way. 

Best,
Scott

Fiscal quarter, simply:

FiscalQuarterNumber =
if [CalendarMonthNumber] < 4
then 3
else if [CalendarMonthNumber] < 7
then 4
else if [CalendarMonthNumber] < 10
then 1
else 2

Or you can do modulo arithmetic on the calendar quarter.

Hi Greg.

I see how you did fiscal year and quater but how would you do fiscal Month Jan, Feb, Mar...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.