Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrtn
Helper I
Helper I

Change date format in DIRECT Query Mode - not on list of selectable formats

Hi, 

I would like to use the format dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm for my datetime column in DirectQuery mode. This format is not on the list of available datetime formats. 

Using a calculated column with FORMAT(TableName[timestamp],"dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm") does not work, as I get the following error "Function 'FORMAT' is not allowed as part of calculated column DAX expressions on DirectQuery models."

Any workarounds? Can I somehow enable custom formats?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mrtn ,

You can change DateTime type in Power Query Editor.

= Text.From(Date.Day([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Month([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Year([SalesDate]))&" "&Text.From(Time.Hour([SalesDate]))&":"&Text.PadStart(Text.From(Time.Minute([SalesDate])),2,"0")

Change date format in DIRECT Query Mode - not on list of selectable formats 3.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ToddFischer

I am having problems where the date format that isa coming in is "  friday, august 27, 2021" - but I need this to read 08/27/2021

ToddFischer_0-1649879487998.png

I do not have the ability to get into the dataset since it is direct query, and it is not giving me the option to change the format....

Help please.....

Todd

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mrtn ,

You can change DateTime type in Power Query Editor.

= Text.From(Date.Day([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Month([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Year([SalesDate]))&" "&Text.From(Time.Hour([SalesDate]))&":"&Text.PadStart(Text.From(Time.Minute([SalesDate])),2,"0")

Change date format in DIRECT Query Mode - not on list of selectable formats 3.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

how to I ge tot power query editor if I do not have the ability to get into the table?

ToddFischer_0-1649879886028.png

On second thought - it appeared to resolve the issue at first glance. However, I get the message "This query contains transformations that can't be used for DirectQuery."

I accepted the proposed solution without proper testing...

@Icey 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mrtn ,

If your time is with the same minutes, for example, '9:00' and '10:00', you can change the expression like this:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each Text.From(Date.Day([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Month([SalesDate]))&"/"&Text.From(Date.Year([SalesDate]))&" "&Text.From(Time.Hour([SalesDate]))&":00")

Change date format in DIRECT Query Mode - not on list of selectable formats - follow.png

Best Regards,

Icey

ToddFischer_1-1649879927023.png

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.