Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zvm1

Change datasource to PowerBI dataset

Hi,

My customer has made a lot of reports in PowerBI desktop (in one file) and it is now cumbersome for maintenance.

Datasource is on premises database.

Is it is possible to switch to PowerBI dataset as a datasource without redoing all the reports?

The idea is the following:

- one master PowerBi desktop should hold data model and connection to real datasource (on-prem database)

- master file should be published to PowerBI service

- Master file from PowerBi service should serve as a source for reports user(s) will create

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @zvm1 

I don't think you can, probably the fastest way to duplicate the reports would be creating a new file with the link to a data set, then Select All, Copy whole report page from the old file and Pasting it to the new report Page.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this post is a few years old, but this article (https://technologyblog.rsmus.com/data-analytics/power-bi-datasets-changing-your-data-source/) shows a technique to acheive what you asked about.

I'll try! Thanks for the reply on such an old post. 🙂

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @zvm1 

I don't think you can, probably the fastest way to duplicate the reports would be creating a new file with the link to a data set, then Select All, Copy whole report page from the old file and Pasting it to the new report Page.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Hi,

I thought of that also - that was my first solution I proposed to my customer. But there are around 40 pages and that is still a lot of manual work.

Ok, it seems there is no other way to do it. I am not surpirsed, I was just hoping there is some trick to avoid manual copying.

Thanks anyway.

Hi @zvm ,

You seem to get the answer. Can you please accept the helpful reply as a solution? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same request will find it quickly and  benefit here.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

@zvm 

No problem, and have fun 🙂

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.