Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lekkerbek
Helper IV
Helper IV

Change datasource - removes old data or keeps in cache?

Hi,

I have a Power BI file that I would like to re-use for another customer. The underlying model is exactly the same. Just the data is obviously different.

Can I simply copy the model and change the data source settings to the new customer? Or will it keep the old data in cache which can be retrieved by someone clever (so client Y can seen data of client X because he/she was able to retrieve it)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lekkerbek,

I think you can parameterize your report and save it as a template.
Then you can share this with other users, they can change the data source connection string to generate their own report with raw report structures.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power B...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lekkerbek , change the source connection details and refresh

Using edit connection or power query

How to Change Connection Details: https://youtu.be/59PUFuuCrbY

Another one save as template and try

Thank you for your answer. However my question was related to something else. I know how to change the settings, but wanted to check if there is no link whatsoever to the old data if I update the settings.

Hi @lekkerbek,

I think you can parameterize your report and save it as a template.
Then you can share this with other users, they can change the data source connection string to generate their own report with raw report structures.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power B...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. I will try this solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.