Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasontrimble

Change datasource after publishing the report.

Hi, I am new to Power BI. I have a scenario which I believe is not unique to me. I have to publish a report where the datasource is different between the prod and dev environment. While the dev environment uses local db, the prod environment is to DirectQuery the db in Azure. I understand that I have option to configure the datasource in power BI desktop while creating the report. However, the local laptop where Power BI desktop is installed could not connect to the DB in Azure (because of firewall restrictions). I wonder if there a way to update the data source connection information after publishing the report. I wanted to be able to update the connection server, specify DirectQuery, update the db name, user and password credentials after publishing the report. Or is there an alternative recommended practice? Any suggestion is welcome.
2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jasontrimble

From my knowledge, you could change data source and edit permission by clicking Data source under Edit Queries.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vbigham
Frequent Visitor

I would see if you can create a parameter for the server name. The credentials are usually managed in the DataSets section (click the elipsis on the report and then click Settings) of app.powerbi.com. The parameters will be listed in the same location.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.