Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change data type in header

Hello All

I am looking to do a report for sales by month. When the data is loaded into Power BI, power BI is picking up data as 'text' instead of 'date' (month) . Is there a way to change it so when I do visual, the header can show as sales by month?

YC-Ricardo_0-1607596339459.png

Thanks heaps!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The data type is determined by the data in the column, not by the header.  In your image the numbers are being shown as any type abc 123 

If you want to do reporting by month then you need to rearrange the data so that you have a column for date and a column for values like this

dates-vals.png

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sujith_S
Frequent Visitor

Yes ! it did also happened to me .. The finest way to do is to manually change /right click on the header/column name and change the type to "Text"(ab).

The advantage is that you will be saved from dataype errors.. this would be helpful while you are playing with dataflows! so always change the date type to text before refreshing

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT AS SOLUTION to accept the same as the solution. Hope it helped. Thanks

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

The data type is determined by the data in the column, not by the header.  In your image the numbers are being shown as any type abc 123 

If you want to do reporting by month then you need to rearrange the data so that you have a column for date and a column for values like this

dates-vals.png

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.