Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Change data source from SQL to SSAS?

I have a PowerBI desktop file I created that queried a single view in our SQL server.

I have since replicated the PowerBI data model as an SSAS Tabular model in our SSAS server.

I want to re-connect my desktop report to our SSAS Tabular model. (The model is identical, same names, same formulas, I copied all the definitions in the local PowerBI file's internal data model when I built it).

Is there anyway to accomplish this?  I can't find a way to swap out data sources from internal PBI to a connected live SSAS model.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi OneWithQuestion ,

It’s not supported to change SQL data source to SSAS data source directly in Power BI desktop. But there is a workaround you can try.

Firstly, create a new pbix file connecting to SSAS in Connect Live connection ,then save the Power BI Desktop file and make backup for the first original imported pbix file and the new pbix file with Connect Live connection.  Replace both the extension .pbix for t the first original imported pbix file and  the new pbix file with Connect Live connection with the new extension .zip.

Secondly, delete the DataModel file from the first original imported pbix file. Copy the DataMashup file from the new pbix file with Connect Live connection to the original pbix file. Then rename the original pbix file and replace the .zip extension with the .pbix extension again.

Finally, open the original pbix file, and get data from SSAS in Connect Live connection. Since then, you have converted your pbix file with report from SQL Server to reconnect from SSAS Tabular.

You can go through the link to learn more: https://sqldusty.com/2018/01/30/converting-a-power-bi-desktop-file-from-import-to-live-query/. Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear,

This is not possible. You need to recreate your PBI report for SSAS Live connection.

Regards,

Pradeep

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.