Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change column data type

Hi all, this power BI newbie needs help with a challenging doosy. 

I have a data source file with a list of people associated with a question and several choice answers: =choice 

However, instead of making the question a column with the choices to chose from, each =choice was made into  separate columns with "checked"/"unchecked" as the data type (see partial screen shot), and I imagine that "check" means yes, as =choice to the question.column data.PNG

When trying to creat a columns visual to determine how many individuals are associated with each of the = "choices",  all I get is a count of ALL the "checked"/"unchecked" lumped together.

The only way I've been able to get indivicual counts has been creating single Card visual for each of the =choices and clicking and selecting the "checked" (see sample).choice visual.PNG

Is there any way I can place all the =choices into a single column of choices? AND associate those choices with the "checked" that people chose in response to the question? 

10 REPLIES 10
prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you need something like below?

Capture.PNG
Here is the pbix file for above.

Prateek Raina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the prompt response and sample solution prateekraina!

If you try running a report and change the table to a bar graph as the visual, whether you choose check or unchecked as the status, you get a "count of checked", although the count varies, it's still shown as count of checked.

the second png, are the questions separated indivually, so for each question, if I click the "checked", I get an actual count of responses to for that question, but I want to show a graph that compares count of ALL the responses at the same time in a bar, or pie or circle graph. Hope I'm explaining myself correctly.choice visual.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

Would it be possible for you to draw what result you expect in Excel or Paint. I am a bit confused.

Is it something like below?

Capture.PNG

Prateek Raina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi prateekraina,

see attached files, hopefull will explain a bit more.

I also created a pbix sample file. How can I share that with you?

Drawing1.pngAs I've mentioned before, instead of separate columns with the same question/different choices, I'd like 1 column with the choices to pick from and be quantified, if you see in the Excel file, if you try to create a Pivot Table/Chart, all you get quantified are the checked/unchecked, not the actual choices.

Hi @Anonymous

A simple file will be really appreciated.

You could upload the file by choosing files to the attachments below, or upload file to OneDrive, and then share me with the link.

Best Regards

Maggie 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Maggie,

haven't heard back from you.

May I send you a sample file directly?

Erick

Hi @Anonymous

Could you see this when you reply?

1.png

Yes, you can send email to me directly.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Maggie,

I don't have that option when I reply or anywhere on my screen. Is it a subscription level thing maybe?Capture4.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

thank you so much for your reply and wanting to help, but there's no option to upload a file that I can see here. Please advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks again. I’ll do as soon as I have a chance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors