Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ShawnPrice
Helper I
Helper I

Change colors based on certain factors

Is is possible to change color on text based on certain factors? As in the example below.

Item            Q1       Q2      Q3     Q4

Coat             22       13       54      53

Shovel          30        5         15     25

I would like to change the 54 & 30 to bold or a different color to show the person viewing the report which Quarter was the best without really having to look through the row.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional formatting can (just now) be applied to cell backgrounds in tables only - you can't use conditional formatting on cell text in tables, or on a matrix.

Shawn,

Your example looks like a matrix with Items and Quarters as columns, not measures.  You can use conditional formatting  of text in an R visual using geom_text() - see https://community.powerbi.com/t5/R-Script-Showcase/Heatmaps/td-p/68573 for a related example.

ShawnPrice
Helper I
Helper I

I'm wanting to do this in a Matrix, sorry for not mentioning it before.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe that both Table and Matrix visualizations have cell conditional formatting now, definitely tables. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-conditional-table-formatting/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler

Hmm..  I just did the test and It is only supported in Table and not Matrix. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Ah yes, I remembering seeing it as started here:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15310341-conditional-formatting-i...

Maybe end of this month?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ShawnPrice

You can use conditonal formatting feature but it is only supported in the table visual and with measures only. FYI- Microsoft has considered to make Conditional Formatting more rich and supported in other visuals in future releases.

For this, You need to create 2 measures.

Total Coats:=SUM(Table1[Coats]), 

Similarly for Total Shovels.

Create a Table Visual and Drag ITEM Field, Total Coats Measure and Total Shovels Measure as shown in the Screenshot.

conditional.PNG

As shown in the Screenshot, Select the drop down arrow of the Total Coats measure, and select conditional formatting.

It will pop up with a new dialog box as shown in the below screenshot.\

Conditional Formatting Dialog BoxConditional Formatting Dialog BoxFinal OutputFinal Output

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.