Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change axis from month to mmm-yyyy format

Dear Power BI community,

I have a historical records of ticket sales in 2019 and 2020 and I hope to see the trends of these sales in a mmm-yyyy format. I have created a column chart, specifically I want to see the trend of the order quantity in months (in the 3rd figure). However, when I drill down my column chart to the months' level, I could not see the year which the ticket is purchased. Additionally, I tried to navigate around the platform but doesn't seem to be able to drill into such the mmm-yyyy format. Does anyone knows how I could change my x axis into such a format? Or could I do such arrangement at the Excel level?

drilldown(1).PNG

drilldown(2).PNG

drilldown_but_wantchangetommyyyy.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

Use that expression to create a calculated column in the table instead of a measure

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your needs, although the "mmmm-yyyy" date field can be customized successfully, it cannot be used on the x-axis of the column chart. You can drill down to the month, and then turn off "Concatenate labels" in the x-axis of the Format, so that the trends of month and year sales can also be displayed visually. Maybe this is the best way.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1611194146556.jpeg

v-henryk-mstf_1-1611194154246.jpeg

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

You can use the function "expand all down one level in the hierarchy" option + turn off "concatenate labels" under the filter pane, x-axis formatting options:

concatenate labels.JPG

(You might need to srot the visual by the date fields once you have turned off the concatenate labels option)

Paul on Linkedin.

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

You can create a new column with this format.

See formula below:

Month-Year = FORMAT(Table[Date], "MMM-YYYY")

And use this column on x axis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @themistoklis ,

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried using it but came back with this reply. Do you know how I could rectify this?

Error.png

@Anonymous 

Use that expression to create a calculated column in the table instead of a measure

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.