Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bblackwell3
Helper I
Helper I

Change Sequenced data to Columns

Hey All. I have a PowerBI model that has a table that contains Ids of applications, platform and the platform sequence. The platform sequence refers to which platform the app will migrate to over time. Dummy data below

bblackwell3_0-1671562213465.png

However, I need this information for the platform migration in columns, based on the sequence number like the below

bblackwell3_1-1671562405640.png

I thought of possibily using Tranpose, but it doesn't seem to be the answer.  How would I approach doing this, and avoiding duplicates?

17 REPLIES 17
bolfri
Super User
Super User

Try this one.

let
    Źródło = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjc3V9JRcgwPBpKGSrE60UoW5kZAtruzG1zE0twYpKaqtCgVLmZoYmAA5PgXJSbnIEQhpplDNBshGeeSWJLonFgEF4UYGVKUWQAXgpoYHBkBF4IYBxExRjINbqsxsvvAfjBGNss3OAQuBDEL4jITJLPc/INC4EIQkyDaTJBN8nN1hAjFAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Platform = _t, #"Platform Sequence" = _t]),
    #"Zmieniono typ" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Źródło,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Platform", type text}, {"Platform Sequence",  type text}}),
    #"Dodano kolumnę niestandardową" = Table.AddColumn(#"Zmieniono typ", "ColumnName", each "Platform " & [Platform Sequence]),
    #"Usunięto kolumny" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Dodano kolumnę niestandardową",{"Platform Sequence"}),
    #"Kolumna przestawna" = Table.Pivot(#"Usunięto kolumny", List.Distinct(#"Usunięto kolumny"[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "Platform")
in
    #"Kolumna przestawna"

Results:

bolfri_0-1671569469186.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@bolfri This looks like it may work. However, I cannot clearly understand some of Polish language exactly

I am so sorry. Here is the English version:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjc3V9JRcgwPBpKGSrE60UoW5kZAtruzG1zE0twYpKaqtCgVLmZoYmAA5PgXJSbnIEQhpplDNBshGeeSWJLonFgEF4UYGVKUWQAXgpoYHBkBF4IYBxExRjINbqsxsvvAfjBGNss3OAQuBDEL4jITJLPc/INC4EIQkyDaTJBN8nN1hAjFAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Platform = _t, #"Platform Sequence" = _t]),
    #"Change Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Platform", type text}, {"Platform Sequence",  type text}}),
    AddColumnName = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type", "ColumnName", each "Platform " & [Platform Sequence]),
    DeleteColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddColumnName,{"Platform Sequence"}),
    Table.Pivot = Table.Pivot(DeleteColumns, List.Distinct(DeleteColumns[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "Platform")
in
    Table.Pivot

Thank you! This syntax is almost exactly what I need. How would I incorporate the change of the source to a sql. database and schema? Like the below?

Source = Sql.Database("SERVERNAME", "DATABASE NAME"),

Roadmap_AppTargetPlatform = Source{[Schema="Roadmap",Item="AppTargetPlatform"]}[Data],

let
Source = Sql.Database("SERVERNAME", "DATABASE NAME"),
Roadmap_AppTargetPlatform = Source{[Schema="Roadmap",Item="AppTargetPlatform"]}[Data],
#"Change Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Platform", type text}, {"Platform Sequence", type text}}),
AddColumnName = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type", "ColumnName", each "Platform " & [Platform Sequence]),
DeleteColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddColumnName,{"Platform Sequence"}),
Table.Pivot = Table.Pivot(DeleteColumns, List.Distinct(DeleteColumns[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "Platform")
in
Table.Pivot

I created a new table using the above syntax and altered it to include my actual column names into the syntax below

let
Source = Sql.Database("LOUSQLWTS711", "AppJourneyTrackingDB_Dev"),
#"Change Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"AppId", type text}, {"PlatformName", type text}, {"PlatformSequence", type text}}),
AddColumnName = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Type", "ColumnName", each "PlatformName " & [PlatformSequence]),
DeleteColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddColumnName,{"PlatformSequence"}),
Table.Pivot = Table.Pivot(DeleteColumns, List.Distinct(DeleteColumns[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "PlatformName")
in
Table.Pivot

However, I get an error?

bblackwell3_0-1671641896585.png

It seems that in your table there is no AppId column. 🙂

I thought the same 😄 initially. This is the table I am basing it off of and it has AppId. I also get the error when changing to ID or Id??

bblackwell3_0-1671645006579.png

Should I create a blank query for the syntax or create table?

Crate a table from your SQL connection, then give me a code from advanced editor. I will apply rest of the steps for you.

let
Source = Sql.Database("LOUSQLWTS711", "AppJourneyTrackingDB_Dev"),
Roadmap_AppTargetPlatform = Source{[Schema="Roadmap",Item="AppTargetPlatform"]}[Data]

in
Source

Give me also a colum names, because this is an issue here.

I still have no resolution for this 😞

Did you need any other info?

bblackwell3_0-1671655408147.png

I need Id, AppId, PlatformName, and PlatformSequence

Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @bblackwell3,

Transpose is not required in your case. Go to Power Query and Pivot the Platform Sequence column and in the dialogue box, select Platform as Value Column.

Works for you? Mark this post as a solution if it does!
Check out this blog of mine: How to Export Telemetry Data from Azure IoT Central into Power BI

Thanks @Shaurya . That did get me one step closer but..

bblackwell3_0-1671569110620.png

However, I need for the App ID to only appear one time and 1, 2, 3 and 4 should be populated with the Platform Name. Like the below

bblackwell3_1-1671569230721.png

@bblackwell3 

The pivot parameters should be the ones as shown in the image below.

Make sure the Platform Sequence column is selected first before you click the Pivot Column button.

I have also attached the PowerBI workspace

Pivot.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.