Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

huguest
Advocate II
Advocate II

Change Query but Keep Models and Visualizations

Hello, 

I have created several visuals using fields from one of my queries (Query1).  I have a second query (Query2) that contains the exact same fields as Query1, but with data coming from a different source.

Can I copy my visuals and change the source Query where the fields are located from Query1 to Query2 without recreating each of the visuals individually?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think there's any way to do this, but I would love to be proven wrong. The only thing I can think of is instead of having both data sets in one report, you could duplicate the entire PBIX file and use the second dataset there.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Just wondering if there still isn't a proper way to do this?

Regards,

Robin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think there's any way to do this, but I would love to be proven wrong. The only thing I can think of is instead of having both data sets in one report, you could duplicate the entire PBIX file and use the second dataset there.

Thanks to this solution, I have come up with this approach:

1. Create your 2 queries (Query1 - where your visuals is connected, Query2 - just another data source with same schema)
  2. Copy the PBIX (with those queries present)
  3. Edit your copied PBIX
    1. Delete Query2
    2. Rename Query1 to Query2
    3. Copy the visuals
  4. Paste the visuals on your original PBIX Report (this would consume Query2, which is connected to other data source)

This approach preserves your visuals in just one report. 😄 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors