Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irfanelevated
Helper II
Helper II

Change Datasource from Excel to PowerBI Dataset

Hi,

I have a report build on an excel dataset, now I want to change the dataset to the PowerBI data set.

When I am trying to add the PowerBI dataset in the existing report getting the below error-

irfanelevated_0-1603452819483.png

Please suggest?

Thanks,

Irfan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @irfanelevated ,

It’s not supported to change SQL data source to SSAS data source directly in Power BI desktop. But there is a workaround you can try.

Create a new pbix file connecting to SSAS in Connect Live connection ,then save the Power BI Desktop file and make backup for the first original imported pbix file and the new pbix file with Connect Live connection.  Replace both the extension .pbix for t the first original imported pbix file and  the new pbix file with Connect Live connection with the new extension .zip.

Delete the DataModel file from the first original imported pbix file. Copy the DataMashup file from the new pbix file with Connect Live connection to the original pbix file. Then rename the original pbix file and replace the .zip extension with the .pbix extension again.

Open the original pbix file, and get data from SSAS in Connect Live connection. Since then, you have converted your pbix file with report from SQL Server to reconnect from SSAS Tabular.

You can go through the link to learn more: https://sqldusty.com/2018/01/30/converting-a-power-bi-desktop-file-from-import-to-live-query/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@irfanelevated , When you want to connect with a live connection, you can not connect with other data sources as of now. So try on a blank power bi file.

Hi @amitchandak ,

I appreciate your prompt reply.

ohh is it? In Tableau it's very easy to do that.

I'm able to connect with Blank powerBI. May I know what is the easiest way to move my graph from the existing file to the live connection powerBI file?

Hi @irfanelevated ,

It’s not supported to change SQL data source to SSAS data source directly in Power BI desktop. But there is a workaround you can try.

Create a new pbix file connecting to SSAS in Connect Live connection ,then save the Power BI Desktop file and make backup for the first original imported pbix file and the new pbix file with Connect Live connection.  Replace both the extension .pbix for t the first original imported pbix file and  the new pbix file with Connect Live connection with the new extension .zip.

Delete the DataModel file from the first original imported pbix file. Copy the DataMashup file from the new pbix file with Connect Live connection to the original pbix file. Then rename the original pbix file and replace the .zip extension with the .pbix extension again.

Open the original pbix file, and get data from SSAS in Connect Live connection. Since then, you have converted your pbix file with report from SQL Server to reconnect from SSAS Tabular.

You can go through the link to learn more: https://sqldusty.com/2018/01/30/converting-a-power-bi-desktop-file-from-import-to-live-query/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.