Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Change Data Source from SSAS multidimensional to Azure Analysis Services

Hello everyone.
I've created a report in Power BI desktop which uses a live connection on a SSAS multidimensional cube.
Now I have to migrate this cube to Azure Analysis Services, which implies porting the cube to a newly created Tabular Model (which will mantain the original names for the columns and measures), and then I should change the report source to this Tabular.
My question is: is there a chance to get all the visuals of the report working without changes or do I have to rebuild the report?

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team

Re: Change Data Source from SSAS multidimensional to Azure Analysis Services

Hi @Francesco-T,

I would suggest you make a copy of your file first in case of failure and then try to change the source. Please refer to the snapshot below. Since it's a live connection, the Advanced Editor isn't available. But Greg's idea is very good for other similar scenarios. 

Change-Data-Source-from-SSAS-multidimensional-to-Azure-Analysis-Services

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

[ Edited ]

It's potentially possible. The general process is to create a new PBIX that connects to your new model. Copy the M code used to connect and use that code to replace the M code in your existing query. You do this using Advanced Editor in Power Query.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Community Support Team

Hi @Francesco-T,

I would suggest you make a copy of your file first in case of failure and then try to change the source. Please refer to the snapshot below. Since it's a live connection, the Advanced Editor isn't available. But Greg's idea is very good for other similar scenarios. 

Change-Data-Source-from-SSAS-multidimensional-to-Azure-Analysis-Services

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Community Support Team

Hi @Francesco-T,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,