Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

npowerbi
Helper I
Helper I

Change Data Source from Local Desktop to Sharepoint

Hi Experts,

I have prepared a dashboard using a local excel file on my desktop. Now that I have completed my development, I need to connect to a similar file on Sharepoint.

I am unable to find any option to only change datasource. Do I need to repeat my development efforts to get the data from Sharepoint, transform the data and build a report?

Note : There is a lot of difference when you connect to a file local to your desktop and the one on Sharepoint. The later needs additional tranformations to get rid of all other files present on root folder.

Thanks

Nitin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Well, you could just copy the file to Sharepoint. Open the Excel file on Sharepoint, upper left corner you can copy the path to the file. In Power BI you should be able to edit query and then change data source to the path you just copied. However! You need to delete the last characters (5 or so) in the path so that it ends with xlsx. Done.

If this doesn't make sense I can write better instructions when I'm by the computer tomorrow.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
IsaBell

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi.. i have similar issue where i try to change source from directory path in my laptop to the sharepoint directory.. but it displays the error "We couldn't authenticate with the credential provided. Please try again"... currently i'm using the power BI desktop for free. Is it because of the license issue?.. please help me.. thanks

Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Well, you could just copy the file to Sharepoint. Open the Excel file on Sharepoint, upper left corner you can copy the path to the file. In Power BI you should be able to edit query and then change data source to the path you just copied. However! You need to delete the last characters (5 or so) in the path so that it ends with xlsx. Done.

If this doesn't make sense I can write better instructions when I'm by the computer tomorrow.

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but....

This worked so simply! It's a wonder that they haven't built in quick way to do this (without having to remember to delete a few characters in the filename). Thanks!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Johanno,

Is it possible to get screenshots about you are suggesting as a solution? I was trying several times and I don't know what I'm doing wrong because I get many errors...

Thank you so much.

Ana M

Hi tried the same steps but I am getting stuck at the credentials. Have you come across this problem? I raised it here: Facing error when changing data source from excel ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Can you share a picture of what you're suggesting?

Do you mean this method: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Alternately, I have a PBIX query data source that points to a file that's stored on an enterprise one drive, but when I copy link to the file and edit the 'excel workbook' datasource in my pbix file it doesn't accept it.  I think I have to change the whole data source from excel file to something else perhaps?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds simple enough.  If the file names are different, will this automatically update the measures that reference the table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.