Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daandamhuis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Change Connection from SSAS to Power BI Online Connector

Hi,

We are currently using the Power BI Services for over a year and we are noticing that our dataset are piling up because we use the SSAS Live connection instead of the Power BI Online connector.

Is there a way to change the connection in Power BI Desktop from SSAS to an Power BI Online connection? The only other option is rebuilding all the reports to the Power BI Online connection, but that would mean rebuilding 50+ reports...

With kind regards,

Daan Damhuis

12 REPLIES 12
kristianjay
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys, 

Did any of you find a solution for this?

HI, 

I've used the Business Ops from Powerbi.tips. It contains a program that's called "Hot Swap Connections" by Steve Campbell. 

Business Ops - (powerbi.tips)

Hi, 

Just did this yesterday as well, and it works wonders. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the steps :

1. Be sure that the Preview feature : “DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services” is activated.
Go to File --> Options and settings --> Options --> Preview features

2. Click on “Make changes to this model” (right corner where you see your data connection)

3. A pop up will prompt then Select “Add a local model”
4. Go to Transform Data -- > Data source settings

5. Delete your SSAS source by clicking on “Delete…”
6. A yellow ribbon will appear then Select “Apply changes”
7. Your dataset from SSAS is now all removed. Now you want to establish a connection to your Power BI dataset. Select Get Data --> Power BI dataset. You are now connected Live on your Power BI Dataset.

Hope it helps  
ventriloc_0-1616099686941.png

Cheers!
ventriloc.ca 

Anonymous
Not applicable
epieters
Frequent Visitor

@daandamhuis, not sure if you found a solution, but the following method worked for us (assuming the powerbi dataset exists)

1. Create an empty .pbix with a connection to the powerbi online dataset
  2. rename the .pbix to .zip
  3. extract the zip file
  4. copy the connection.xml
  5. rename the .pbix that connects to SSAS to .zip
  6. extract the zip file
  7. replace the connection.xml with the connection.xml you copied in step 4
  8. zip the folder again
  9. rename the zip file again to .pbix
  10. publish your new .pbix

it takes about 1 minute, but feel free to tell your manager that you had to recreate the 50 reports.

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@epieters 

This method is no longer working. Any ideas or suggestions

Hi - I faced this same issue and found a solution this morning. 

1. Create a new connection leveraging the NEW connector to the table you're looking to update.
  2. Go to "Edit Queries"
  3. Select 'Advanced Editor' for both the table leveraging the previous connector AND select 'Advanced Editor' for the table leveraging your NEW connector.
  4. You should be able to see the differences in the XML. Copy the details from your new connector into your old connector, but be sure to keep any customizations such as #ChangedType.
  5. Close and apply, and your old table should now leverage the desired connector.
  6. You can double  check the connection(s) are updated by going to "File" >> "Options and Settings" >> "Data Source Settings"
  7. Delete the table you no longer need. 
MrPowerBI
Frequent Visitor

We also have the same problem. Without the ability to copy content from one report to another, we would have to recreate all our reports (which is way too time consuming to justify doing).

Yes that exactly it. Is there a uservoice thing for it?

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @daandamhuis

Did you try to change your data source ?

Go to File -> Options and settings -> Data source settings >Right click data sources and change source

large.png

- Quentin

Nope can I only change the connection within SSAS , but I can't change it to Power BI Online connection.

example 2.pngexample 1.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.