Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change Bar Chart Colour based on slicer selection

Hi Experts

This should be easy but, as the measures are written in SSAS. How could i as a work around change the bar chart colour based on what selection is made on a particular slicer - field selected...

So if i select:

1. banana - bar chart change to Yellow

2. orange - bar chart changes to Orange etc.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

I know how to get 3 different colors for 3 different categories but nor more than that Smiley Sad

Basically you can use the Color Saturation Property of the Chart to define colors. Sample PBIX File is attached

200w_d

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BlueTeam1
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Alternatively, if the slicer is based on a table, you could add the hex codes of the colors you want to the table. Then set the data colors > Default color format to the column. This avoids the limit of 3 like the previous solution but does come with its own caveat. You can only have one slicer option chosen at a time.

tableSetup.png

Setting the Data Colors > Default Color to the HexcodeSetting the Data Colors > Default Color to the Hexcode

I love this tip, @BlueTeam1 . I noticed, though, that the setup doesn't work for the background color of the slicer that holds the values responsible for the color change. Bit of a bummer, but not the end of the world. Thanks for this!

Hey, thanks for this input.  Where did you find this panel to input choices for default colour?  I couldn't find it anywhere.  Also, do you know if this also works for line graphs?

This is based off of a relatively new feature of conditional formatting they rolled out for charts. At this time, I have not found it to work for line charts.

If you hover over the title of the "Default Color" section of the "Data Colors" title, there should be a set of three dots to the right of the title that open up the conditional menu (see below screenshot). They only show up if you hover over the title so kind of hidden. I hope they make it more prominent in the future. Hope this helps.

Capture.PNG

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous

I know how to get 3 different colors for 3 different categories but nor more than that Smiley Sad

Basically you can use the Color Saturation Property of the Chart to define colors. Sample PBIX File is attached

200w_d

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Zubair

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors