Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GarvJalandhara

Challenging: Filter a column, which should be picked using multiple slicers

This one is quite Challenging!
I wish to create 3 slicers (Slicer1: Text1, Slicer2: Text2, Slicer3: Text3), that can collectively chose one of the multiple numeric columns that I have in data (Chosen Column Name = Text1Text2Text3 from slicers). Then, I wish to apply a range filter on the chosen column (e.g. return Text1Text2Text3 for values between 550 and 94000).

I could manage to create a dynamic measure using IFELSE, SWITCH and SELECTEDVALUE functions. However, a measure is an aggreagate and wouldn't help me get a range filter. Any idea how could this be resolved? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SunRiser
Regular Visitor

Is there any reason you can't have your numeric columns formatted instead as two columns (attribute / value) pairs? Can these numeric columns be unpivoted in other words? Annotation 2022-07-29 105920.jpg

Using this method, you could simply use the Numeric column for your slicer. Then you can use a "between" slicer for your Value column.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SunRiser
Regular Visitor

Is there any reason you can't have your numeric columns formatted instead as two columns (attribute / value) pairs? Can these numeric columns be unpivoted in other words? Annotation 2022-07-29 105920.jpg

Using this method, you could simply use the Numeric column for your slicer. Then you can use a "between" slicer for your Value column.

That's exactly how I have solved for it currently. However, there are a few issues that I face in this approach.
1. The dataset that I have becomes humungously large if I club those 15-20 columns into a single column, and PowerBI becomes slow to process the visulisation changes.
2. As data gets filtered at row-level for a single column value in this approach, there's a problem to create stacked charts or other visuals where I need 2 or more of those numeric columns as values. 

Hi @GarvJalandhara

The field parameter can let you switch the selected column. However, it is not supported to apply a numeric range filter on it to filter the selected column. An explicit filter requires pointing to a specific column with the column name. 

Another option is to use a measure to filter the values. Since you have 15-20 columns, you may need to deal with 15-20 scenarios separately in SWITCH function and filter table in each scenario too. In addition, a measure can only be used on a visual as a filter. It cannot be used as a page or report filter to filter multiple visuals at the same time. 

Sorry I cannot think of other possible or ideal solutions. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.