Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mrtnkbg
Helper I
Helper I

Certain measures in downloaded pbix seems to disappear

Hi,

I have run into a very confusing behaviour in Power BI Desktop.

We work with separate datamodels and reports. When I download a datamodel pbix from the service in order to develop it further, all measuers previously created in the datamodel (and published, and used by at least one report) are present, as expected. After some 5-15 minutes of working with the pbix/having the pbix open in Power BI Desktop, a portion of the measures seemingly disappear. At first I suspected another developer had made an update and published an older version lacking of "my" measures, but this was not the case.

I have since that downloaded the pbix again, seeing the measures after downoading it again, and then they seem to disappear again.

Is there anyone that recognises this strange behaviour?

Am I making some embarassing rookie mistake..?

I cannot share any data here, just asking for pointers in what I may do wrong or misunderstand.

7 REPLIES 7
HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Mrtnkbg  I will suggest kindly use dax studio to check all measure avaialble in power bi report .

Step to check that 

open you PBIX file 

now open dax studio .it will ask you to open file then choose power bi file name and open 

left side select DMV and search measure 

you can see some option like  MDSSchema_measure once you have clicked it it will populate a formula like 

select *from$system.mdschema_measure 
then hit run in result section below query you will all measure available in your pbix file . 

if you are able to see measure over there then copy it and create a new measure by your on in power bi file 

Hope this will help you .

Kudos will appriciated 😊

Hi @HarishKM ,

Thank you for the tip.

I  made a quick check with Dax Studio from within the Power BI Desktop.

A curious thing (at least for a Dax Studio newbie) is that connecting Dax Studio to the downloaded pbix containing the datamodel was rather straight forward, but when attempting to connect to the downloaded pbix containing the report/visualizations, Dax Studio "found no database" in the pbix, and suggested that I should go with the live connection (which basically is the same dataset as the datamodel pbix) which makes it impossible to see if I mistakenly created measures that resides in the report/visilization pbix.

Am I taking some obvious wrong turn in the latter case?

Hi @Mrtnkbg ,

Not very sure about your issue. But you can refer to the steps in https://exceleratorbi.com.au/getting-started-dax-studio/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Mrtnkbg
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @amitchandak ,

Thank you for the quick response.

The measures (that I am missing) are not hidden, and are "visible in the service" in the aspect of being used in one report, and have been in use for quite some time. Is there any other way to "see" the measures in the service that I am unaware of?

The strange thing is that the main part of the measures are there directly after the dowload and opening of the pbix.

I suspect that the reason might be in the distributed locations of the dataset and the report (however no further than separate workspaces). My next move is to see if there are any issues with the permissions for syncing the data. There was a permission related message shown when I at a later point tried to refresh the data from within the Power BI Desktop yesterday, which I will check up on today.

I still think it is unexpected that only some measures are missing, shouldn't it be all or none for the measures in the same dataset?

Maybe it is as simple as an extra refresh, I will get back on that after the permission issue is resolved.

Hi @Mrtnkbg ,

You can use power bi helper to see all the measure in your pbix file.https://radacad.com/find-error-dax-expressions-export-tables-gateway-and-app-documentation-all-in-po...

What's your data source? Have you click refresh button on the power bi desktop?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi @v-deddai1-msft ,

Thank you for taking your time to respond. 

Power BI Helper is new to me and our organization, so thank's for the tip, I will look into it.

Unfortunately the refresh in Power BI Desktop is currently so time consuming it requires some problem shooting on it's own...

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Mrtnkbg , These measures you were able to see on power bi service when you have published it.

First, make sure that. If you were able to see there and still not able to download then there can be an issue.

Also check they are hidden, check under data model view

if needed report and issue -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors