Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GraceTCL
Helper II
Helper II

Category order is not as expected in waterfall

Hello

I am trying to sort the waterfall category based on the order in the table [Inflow_Breakdown_standalone]. Unfortunately, the orders are not what I had expected even after sorting based on category based on the "..." more options in the top right hand corner of the waterfall chart visual.

This is how the waterfall chart looks like after sorting based on "category"

waterfall.PNG

However, this is the other that I want as per [inflow_breakdown_standalone].[order]

category order.PNG

Could you advise how can I get the order in the waterfall that I expect? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @GraceTCL ,

The relationship between the sample tables I created is as follows:

image.png

First sort the Category column in Order Table:

1. Select the Category column.
  2. Select the Order column in Sort by Column.

image.png

Then the Category field in the Order Table is placed in the category pane of the waterfall chart.

image.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@GraceTCL 

Create a Index Column in the Data 

VijayP_0-1618929421962.png

Then Sort the Category column by Index as shown below

VijayP_1-1618929518144.png

And then in Waterfall Chart Sort by Category and Sort Ascending usibg "..." the most famous Three Dots.

you will be able to achieve what you require

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @VijayP 

I am not sure where should I add the Index column. Currently I have added to 2 tables [Inflow_Breakdown_Standalone] and [Variance] where the 1st was intended for the categories of the waterfall and the other is the variance formula. 

While "index" appears as a drop down in "sort by colun", I still dont get the intended result.

Pls advise what did I do wrong? Thanks!

Index in Variance TableIndex in Variance TableIndex in Inflow_Breakdown Standalone TableIndex in Inflow_Breakdown Standalone TableResult after sorting by IndexResult after sorting by Index

Hi @GraceTCL ,

The relationship between the sample tables I created is as follows:

image.png

First sort the Category column in Order Table:

1. Select the Category column.
  2. Select the Order column in Sort by Column.

image.png

Then the Category field in the Order Table is placed in the category pane of the waterfall chart.

image.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-kkf-msft 

It works now! I dont know why it takes power BI one hour to reflect the updated model.

Previously I had a 1-1 relationship between the Order and Fact table but it didnt work and I update to a 1-many relationship from Order to Fact table and it works as per your advice. Could you clarify why is this the case?

Thank you!

Hi @GraceTCL 

I use a one-to-one cardinality in my model, and the result is still correct. I guess it might be because the one-to-one relationship you created is not active.

For more information about the relationship between tables, please refer to  Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.