Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TL
Regular Visitor

Category/Subcategory Calculation

I am very new to Dax and am guessing the solution is right under my nose, but I've exhausted my limited knowledge and need some guidance.

The data indicates number of people per category and with the Dax measures I calculate the average number of people per sub-category based on the number of sub-category occurences.  The pivot table summarizes what I expect it to regarding the total number of people for each category and sub-category.  The issue is that I would like the grand total to reflect the sum of the categories (in the case below 12+7.5+13+10).

SubCategory Count:=COUNT([SubCategory])

Total SubCategory Count:=calculate(count([SubCategory]),ALL([SubCategory]))

Category Manpower:=calculate(divide(sum([Manpower]),[SubCategory Count]),ALL([SubCategory]))

Manpower/SubCategory(Category):=divide([Subcategory Count],[Total SubCategory Count])*[Category MP]

Capture1.JPG                    Capture2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TL

Try this measure

Measure = IF(HASONEVALUE(Sheet7[category]),[Manpower/SubCategory(Category)],
SUMX(VALUES(Sheet7[category]),[Manpower/SubCategory(Category)]))

10.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dancarr
Frequent Visitor

Hi team,

I think my problem might be quite simple, but related. I have to apply some calculations to incoming data. Whereby I am aim to have a percentage as the end result. I have 31 categories, and 131 subcategories, but there are differing numbers of subcategories per category. Per subcategory I need to check if there is a name listed, which would then result in an percentage.

I hope the below is illustrative. The percentages just need to be totals for the subcategory and not necessarily reflected on each row, but the formula/solution would need to be able to reflect incoming new data (which may be a copy of the dataset with new datestamps)

Major Category

Minor Category

Name

Expected

Actual

Percentage

A

A1

Dan

50%

A

A2

50%

B

B1

Dave

100%

C

C1

Carol

66%

C

C2

Ben

66%

C

C3

66%

D

D1

0%

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TL

Try this measure

Measure = IF(HASONEVALUE(Sheet7[category]),[Manpower/SubCategory(Category)],
SUMX(VALUES(Sheet7[category]),[Manpower/SubCategory(Category)]))

10.png

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msftThanks Maggie! That did the trick.  I'm now reviewing and reviewing again so I understand the logic used.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TL

As tested, the grand total shows correctly, my test is as below.

dataset

category subcategory manpower
A A-1 3
A A-2 3
A A-2 3
A A-2 3
B B-1 1.25
B B-1 1.25
B B-2 1.25
B B-2 1.25
B B-2 1.25
B B-2 1.25
C C-1 2.6
C C-1 2.6
C C-2 2.6
C C-2 2.6
C C-2 2.6
D D-1 10

matrix

8.png

Could you show me how your dataset look like? just show an example instead of your all data.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

To be a little more clear, the manpower number associated with each Subcategory entry is the total manpower number for the Category.  So in your example the total number of manpower associated with Category A is 3.  The measures for Category A divide that total into 4 parts and the pivot table reports the total for each Subcategory.  In your example, the pivot should report for Category A a total of 3 and totals for Subcategories A-1 = 0.75 and A-2 = 2.25.  The Category Grand Total should be 16.85 (3 + 1.25 + 2.6 +10).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.