Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlG
Helper I
Helper I

Categorise Likert Survey Responses

Hi PowerBi Community,

Still fairly new to powerBi and hitting a brick wall with queries/relationships.

I need to build a query that takes data from excel responses, (o365 Likert data) and applies a value instead of the text string that is being created. I have tried to use the additional column (pictured) but as the column count will exceed 100+, seems like there is a better way than this manual method.

addaditionalcolumn.png

I also need to put categories on each column, as seen in the sample survey (3D Printers, CNC, etc.)

survey example.png

Survey Sample Link

At a loss, could do easily in Access, trying to see if PowerBi can handle. Any hints would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Managed to resolve it in the end

Merge Queries with a new table with the likert String and associated likert value on a separate table.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@carlG 

So the survey responses are recorded as Text string? If that's the case, you can work on a copy of the excel. You could replace(Ctrl H) the text strings to numbers in Excel than import into Power BI. Make sure the you choose the correct format when replacing.

Excel Replace text to number.JPG

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the info,

Was hoping to automate it to eliminate user error. as the survey will be completed monthly.

Was almost thinking a lookup table of sorts if it exists in powerbi

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@carlG , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Managed to resolve it in the end

Merge Queries with a new table with the likert String and associated likert value on a separate table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors