Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

Categorical X-Axis: Sliding Scroll Bar Starting Far Right (Most Current Value) Rather Than Oldest

I promise I tried everything, but couldn't figure out how to get the 'sliding scroll bar' to display the latest data when the visual complied; instead, the user has to drag the slider 20+ years worth of monthly data to see the latest figures. 

Is there a way to have this reversed (WITHOUT reversing the values and having the latest year all the way to the left and the oldest to the right, as "we" read left to right and used to looking all the way right for the latest data). 🙂

Is this possible?

Here's what you see when it compiles (Boo!):

how first presented.jpg

Here's what I would like you to see without having to scroll 20+ years (Yea!):

start at the end and let them scroll back.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Terp ;

As parry2k said, this is impossible. however, You could do it by slicer, as follows:

1.enter a slicer:

vyalanwumsft_0-1624353503346.png

2.create a measure:

Measure = IF(ISFILTERED(SLICER[slicer]),SUM([Value]),CALCULATE(SUM([Value]),FILTER('Table',[Date]>=DATE(2019,5,1))))

By default, the chart displayed is the data after May 1, 2019. If I choose the slicer, it will display all the data:

vyalanwumsft_4-1624353823321.pngvyalanwumsft_5-1624353837003.png

In addition, you mentioned that you want to highlight the data for March 2021, you can set it in visualization->format->data color.

vyalanwumsft_7-1624354056868.pngvyalanwumsft_6-1624354013311.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous is that a question for me? Everytime you are posting on a post, please tag the person. Just a suggestion.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And sorting years descending? 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Terp highlighting is not going to solve the scroll bar issue. For the month column you are using on x-axis, add another column in the table as a date with the value as the end of the month, and then use it on x-axis

If month Jan 1999, the new column will be the date as 31st Jan 1999, so the last date for each month and make sure change x-axis to continuous, that will fix it.

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

Figured out how to highlight a bar by default (sort of), but same result....user has to scroll through 20+ years of (unhighlighted) monthly data until they see the highlighted bar/values. 😢😢😢

Terp
Advocate III
Advocate III

How about this—having the most current month highlighted/selected in the chart?  (i.e., the default state of the chart is to have March 2021 highlighted)

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Terp unfortunately that is not possible, it is always going to show the starting point. There is no functionality out of the box to achieve this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.