Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Miles_Gawthorp

Cataloguing the measures and filters used in visualisations/reports

Looking at a suite of reports which have been built up over a number of years, I need to catalogue the measures and filters etc used in the various visualisations and reports to see how much commonality there is with the aim of knowing if we change a measure in the source cube, which reports/visualisations will be affected. Is there a way to automate this or shortcut? Or do I need to manually open each visualisation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Miles_Gawthorp 

You can retrieve all the measures by running a DMV query against the Tabular cube.

Essentially you need to connect to your Power BI Desktop instance from a tool such AS Sql Server Management Studio (or MDX Studio) and issue the following Query

SELECT [CATALOG_NAME] as [DATABASE],
    CUBE_NAME AS [CUBE],[MEASUREGROUP_NAME] AS [FOLDER],[MEASURE_CAPTION] AS [MEASURE],
    [MEASURE_IS_VISIBLE]
FROM $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_MEASURES

This will output information on your measures.

But for retrieve all the filters info. I doubt it's not possible.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Miles_Gawthorp 

You can retrieve all the measures by running a DMV query against the Tabular cube.

Essentially you need to connect to your Power BI Desktop instance from a tool such AS Sql Server Management Studio (or MDX Studio) and issue the following Query

SELECT [CATALOG_NAME] as [DATABASE],
    CUBE_NAME AS [CUBE],[MEASUREGROUP_NAME] AS [FOLDER],[MEASURE_CAPTION] AS [MEASURE],
    [MEASURE_IS_VISIBLE]
FROM $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_MEASURES

This will output information on your measures.

But for retrieve all the filters info. I doubt it's not possible.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Miles_Gawthorp ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

I have a report with 4 visualisations, e.g. a bar chart, a gauge, a clustered column chart with line etc.

To populate those visualisations I need a value, an axis, a legend etc.

I need to create a document which lists as much information about the report as I can, i.e. the cube measure used in the value, the attribute used in the legend etc.

The resulting document is a reference guide for future development. e.g. if we change the way a measure is calculated, which reports have that measure and will therefore be affected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.