Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hnguy71
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Cascading Tables Improvements?

Good evening, All!

I have a table that has different work types: Epic, Feature, and Backlog. If a user selects an upper level work type, the lower levels (feature and backlog) filters accordingly. The idea works but I'm wondering if there's a better method than what I currently have. To test, here's my sample data:

Work TypeWorkIDParentIDTitle
Epic10 Project1
Epic20 Project2
Feature304910Build Solution
Feature849310Test Solution
Feature473920Create Form
Feature193820Project Handover
Backlog108310Build Project Solution
Backlog103810Finalize Changes
Backlog904220Get Requirements for Form
Backlog888520

Give permissions

Screen 1- this is look of the sequence

cascading_tables_1.PNG

Screen 2- As you can see, if I choose an Epic, it would filter the features and backlogs that accompanies it.

cascading_tables_1_solution.PNG

Screen 3- To accomplish the feat I referenced the original data and created this elogated relationship stack

cascading_tables_2.PNG

Here's the PBI if anyone wants to maybe take a stab at a better method:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An8CCFsOzw0uaW3ygYOWidPBowY

And of course, thanks in advanced!

Did I answer your question?
Please help by clicking the thumbs up button and mark my post as a solution!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hnguy71  - You want to "flatten" the parent child hierarchy. You can see a DAX method here or an M method here.

The idea is that your new table will have a column for each of your attributes (Work Type, Epics, etc). 

Cheers!

Nathan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @hnguy71,

check out the feature Drillthrough in Power BI. It allows you to navigate to different report pages while applying filters set on the previous report page. In the following video you can see more: Youtube Drillthrough

Hi @Nolock 

Appreciate the post but that's really not what I'm after. I'm aware of the drillthrough feature but let's say I'm an excutive without Power BI knowledge looking at a dashboard he or she probably wouldn't know how to drillthrough or navigate in and out of it. The idea is to make selections cascade dynamically and to easily navigate the page. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hnguy71  - You want to "flatten" the parent child hierarchy. You can see a DAX method here or an M method here.

The idea is that your new table will have a column for each of your attributes (Work Type, Epics, etc). 

Cheers!

Nathan

nice! I'll look into it further! Definitely closer to what I'm thinking! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.