Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lenihan
Helper III
Helper III

Carriage Returns Splitting Data to a new row since April Release.

Hi - hopefully someone can help me.

It seems with the April 2017 release, when we add a csv dataset that has carriage returns within cells, Power BI for Desktop automatically assumes this is a new row of data. This wasn't happening prior to us upgrading to April 2017 Release. Is this something I can turn off? I can't apply any formulas in power bi to remove the carriage returns because it is doing the split to a new row right away.  I'd prefer not to have to manipulate the data in excel prior to adding to Power BI.  

The data I'm importing has some of the same data that we were importing prior, and it did not split the cell contents to new rows of data. This is something new happening.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When you have a csv file it automaticly makes the split to column so your problem should be in the Source option.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lenihan,

In the April update it was added the split column by delimeter into row this option can be change in the query editor check you query and follow the steps in the blog to check if in your file it's assuming the row instead of column and change accordingly to stop that.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-feature-summary/

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix

Thank you for the reply. I don't know if this is the same, as this is something that is happening automatically as soon as I import the data. And it isn't column based - it is taking a row of data and splitting it into another row of data if a new line exists within the cell.  After I import the file, under applied steps, I do not see a split happening.  Only 3 applied steps happening 1. Source, 2. Promoted Headers, and 3. Changed Type.  I have nothing I can undo with respect to split column for my newly imported data.

When you have a csv file it automaticly makes the split to column so your problem should be in the Source option.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix

Maybe they changed the default setting in the source settings. I checked my older files, and they were set to Ignore line breaks. The new file added was set differently.

Thanks for your help!

obera
Frequent Visitor

Hello, I know this is many years later, but can you explain what you mean by your files being "set to Ignore line breaks"? I am having this issue and I can't tell by the marked solution or your response how to fix it . . .

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm resurrecting this old thread because it's a top search result for this issue. To resolve it, make sure to have the following QuoteStyle in bold below, instead of "None":

Csv.Document(file, [Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv])

Per the documentation:

"QuoteStyle: Specifies how quoted line breaks are handled. QuoteStyle.None (default): All line breaks are treated as the end of the current row, even when they occur inside a quoted value. QuoteStyle.Csv: Quoted line breaks are treated as part of the data, not as the end of the current row."

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

This worked for me, thanks very much. This should be the accepted solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.