Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Card Word Wrap issue

Hello,

I managed to build a metric with text in a card, but resulted too long and when applying Word Wrap it doesn't appear to be working.

My card shows like this:

Word_Wrap_full.pngWord_Wrap_strechted.png

22 REPLIES 22
avanvliet
Frequent Visitor

I know this post is pretty old, but figured I'd add my workaround for anyone else who stumbles across this like I did.

The workaround I've found is to use a text box and add dynamic values, which I think is somewhat recent addition based on my searchs. You can add dynamic values into your text box using any fields or measures created, or even do math directly in the text box. For example I was recreating a ratio, so I just divided the 2 fields I needed, without having to create a measure.

Then all you need to do is format the text box the same way as the scorecard (or however you want, actually could probably have more flexibility and options with look and feel, with the same outcome) and looks pretty much the same as a score card, without having to group a text box on top of the score card, or using the title instead of category label as others of suggested. 

ColinRClone

My work-around was to disable the Category Label and enable the Title (which does have wordwrap) as a substitute . 

jhallcb
Frequent Visitor

Also finding this now, still with no fix.

There is no logic to this - If Text wrap is avilable for the value, sense would dictate that it is avail;able for the label as well... If using this for numeric values likelihood is your label will be bigger than the value and you would want to wrap. On the flip-side if using this for text  values yo would need it there also. Can you not just make it work and add the option to both?

Something I'm finding more as I go into PowerBI is that you've thought of all the complex things and none of the basics. Some visuals have options and others just seem to be half finished and not thought through. Even standard issue Microsoft fonts aren't available after how many years? Why would you not take all the basic features you have refined over 20+ years of MS Office such as formating options or Windows font library and apply them here? 

Just ran into this as well, extremely annoying. The word wrap option should be available for all labels/titles!

I know - it physically hurts me when this stuff is overlooked 😖. Got a simple work around going by removing the label entirely and mashing a textbox underneath but it isn't the prettiest in terms of spacing/padding... Lucky I don't need a dynamic label.

jhallcb_0-1657202977698.png

DaveAl
Frequent Visitor

Four years later... still doesn't work

Anonymous
Not applicable

5 year already don't know what the microsoft thinking ? did they even know this common issue is quite common sense to have in visualize ?

PeraZo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I think I have the same issue still. I can check on/off the card visual but the function is not working.

I used the Custom Visual instead from MAQ Software "Text Wrapper".

mhammo_aka
Frequent Visitor

I cannot believe this is still an issue!!! Micrsoft, it is ridiculous this visual will still not wrap the category text. How about improving visuals that havent been touched in years and a few less of the fancy ones that people rarely use.

sfmike99
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is a really old thread, but happens to be a question I have now. Any way to wrap the text for a measure / field in a card? This is not useful as it stands. I tried 'Cards with States' but no love there either.

sfmike99_0-1610389490665.png

I was having the same issue and realized I just needed to expand the height of the visual and/or reduce my text size. 

TeeGee
Helper II
Helper II

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't even get the label to wrap??

image.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TeeGee 

The built-in standard Card Visual that comes with PBI does not allow the Category Label to wrap!

However this option exists in the Card with States Visual (probably the most used Custom Visual)

https://okviz.com/card-with-states/

or

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/WA104380967

Card with States - Category Label - Text Wrap.png

This visual is highly customizable - give it a try!

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

You're a life saver Sean, thanks man!

haparvez
Frequent Visitor

Was this ever addressed?

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@calerof@trebgatte@Baskar, thanks for reporting this issue. I will report it internally and will keep you updated. 

@calerof@trebgatte@Baskar, got the confirmation from PG that just as @trebgatte mentioned it is by design that the only category label is wrapping, not the text.

@Vicky_Song, this can't possibly be "By Design." This reduces the value of the Card visualization as you now can't use it for displaying text returned from a DAX measure. The fact that the data label wraps is even more troubling as I can't think of a reason I'd need the data label to wrap. The support email I had received suggested a bug was filed.

Looks like I'll have to rally people via UserVoice and log support tickets to fix a bug. 

Treb Gatte, Business Solutions MVP | @tgatte | Blog | CIO Magazine Blog

@trebgatte, thanks for this information. Maybe there is somewhere wrong I need to figure out as we got mismatch info. Would you mind sharing me your ticket ID so I can reach out the engineer who helped you to have a double confirmation?

@Vicky_Song Any more information about this issue??

I get my data from Project Online and I got fields with text including HTML tags for next line. I need to have a way to present this text. The closest I have come is by using the LongTextViewer custom visual. Unfortunately though this visual doesn't support HTML tags.

There is text wrap in the query editor for some weird reason and HTML tags are also recognised. But this isn't true outside of the query editor.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.