Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trdoan
Helper III
Helper III

Card Visual to return value matching slicer selection

Hello everyone,

Here  is my sample data. Please only consider 2 sheets "Contact" and "General Info" (my 2 tables in Power BI).

I have a slicer created from 'General Info'[Store Name].

Assuming a random Store has been selected from that slicer, I'd like to create some measures that can fill in/answer the information to every "x" from the table below.

Each x represents a Card Visual.

Expected Result:

• If Store A is selected, show the available name and phone number of Store A's Primary Customer Service, Secondary Customer Service, and General Manager respectively. If name or phone number is blank, return "N/A"
  • If no Store is selected, return Blank 
 NamePhone
Primary Customer ServiceEmily115
Secondary Customer ServiceN/AN/A
General ManagerMatthew115-8

Is there a way to create such Measures to put in Card visuals? Please can anyone advise? Thank you so so much!!!!!

Update on answer:

The answer is the combination between this calculated column 

Phone Number = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Contact[Phone], Contact[Phone]), ALLEXCEPT(Contact, Contact[Store], Contact[Name]))

and this measure:

Secondary Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone Number]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Secondary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 
IF(ISBLANK(temp), "N/A", temp)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@trdoan ,

Create 6 measures using DAX as below:

Primary Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Primary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Primary Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Primary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Secondary Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Secondary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Secondary Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Secondary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

General Manager Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "General Manager" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

General Manager Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "General Manager" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Capture.PNG 

You may refer to the appendix.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@trdoan ,

Create 6 measures using DAX as below:

Primary Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Primary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Primary Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Primary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Secondary Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Secondary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Secondary Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "Secondary Customer Service" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

General Manager Name = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Name]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "General Manager" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

General Manager Phone = 
VAR temp = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), FILTER(Contact, Contact[Contact Type] = "General Manager" && Contact[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE('General Info'[Column1])))
RETURN 

Capture.PNG 

You may refer to the appendix.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft , thanks for your help and everything worked perfectly! 

However, may I ask another question. I noticed in my real data there's chance where a person might hold different titles and his/her information might be left blank in any other positions but the first one. Is there a way to fill in the same kind of information provided in the first postion?

StoreContact TypeNamePhone
BPrimary Customer ServiceOlly547-5
BSecondary Customer ServiceOlly 

I have removed the phone number in the Secondary Customer Service in my Sample Data to imitate the scenario. Is there a way to get those measures you've written for me to return automatically the same phone number for all positions that Olly (or anyone) holds if they're left blank?

Thank you so so much!

@trdoan ,

Just create a new calculate column like below and use the new calculate column in measures above:

Phone Number = CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(Contact[Phone], Contact[Phone]), ALLEXCEPT(Contact, Contact[Store], Contact[Name]))

Capture.PNG 

Hi @v-yuta-msft , thanks again for your help! However, it seems to work in your file but not mine.

Here is the link to my pbi file. Please can you check what's wrong with it that the calculated column didn't give me the right result like in the pic you posted. My calculated column and yours are completely identical.

Thanks so muchhhh!

@trdoan ,

Use measures:

Phone Number = CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(Contact[Phone], TRUE()), ALLEXCEPT(Contact, Contact[Store], Contact[Name]))
or

Phone Number = CALCULATE(MAX(Contact[Phone]), ALLEXCEPT(Contact, Contact[Store], Contact[Name]))
 instead.

In addtion, similar case about the reason for why FIRSTNONBLANK() can work for your reference:

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Your 'Each x represents a Card Visual.' table didn't show up.

Looking at the stated requirements, can't you use a multi-row card to display the contact details?  As long as you have the relationship set up correctly, the slicer selects the store and the card displays the details.

Hi @HotChilli  there is no table that is "Each x represents a Card visual" from my data. I merely tried to show what my expected result is supposed to be. 

I have hundred of contact types and names in my real data. A Card visual seems to be of a better choice for me than a multi-row card because multi-row card seems to me a clutter of information and I want to display only 1 Store's contact details at a time

But thanks for your suggestion.

You're confusing me.

The multi-row card would display the contact details for only one store at a time, once the store has been selected in a separate slicer.

It's not a clutter, it works very well, almost perfectly for your requirement i think.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.