Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarawilson
Frequent Visitor

Capture Outstanding IT Ticket Count over Time Time

I have what I hope is an interesting problem for someone...

I'm tracking IT performance and am trying to capture the number of tickets open greater than 30 days over time. I'm struggling with the over time because our data doesn't have a process date. I have Open Date and Resolved Date on the incident. 

At first pass I was trying to capture any tickets that are currently open and > 30 days or anything that was resolved after more than 30 days of being opened: 

# > 30d = CALCULATE(count(Incident[0 ID]), filter(Incident, and(Incident[IsResolved] = blank(), Incident[0 Open Date] + 29) || Incident[ResolvedDate] > Incident[0 Open Date] + 29 ))

but I realize this is is grouping by the date a ticket was opened (below) rather than how the ticket stood at the end of any given month. So (incorrectly) each ticket will only show up in one row even if it's open over the course of several months.  I'm really not confident in DAX yet to know how to use functions like ALLEXCEPT, etc. but I feel like this should be possible! 🙂 

Thank you in advance for any help/guidance!

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sarawilson ,

Can you please share some sample data for test?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng 

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Sure! While I can't share the pbix file, here is the (simplified) underlying data.

Also, here are what totals should be (*Nov as of 11/27):

MonthCount
Nov-19*297
Oct-19236
Sep-19221
Aug-19179
Jul-19214
Jun-19308
May-19275
Apr-19262
Mar-19285
Feb-19268
Jan-19254

Hi,

How did you arrive at the figure of 214 for July 2019?  With respect to the MS Excel file that you have shared, please ber very clear with what filters/conditions have you applied to arrive at that figure.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try like this. Make sure you have a calendar/date table

Open Month = CALCULATE(count(Incident[0 ID]),filter(Incident,(Incident[0 Open Date]+29)<=MAXx('Date',ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date Filer]))
&& ( isblank(Incident[ResolvedDate]) ||  Incident[ResolvedDate]>=Maxx('Date',startOFMONTH('Date'[Date Filer])))))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Hi @amitchandak and thank you!

Unfortunately this isn't producing the desired results because isblank(incident(resolveddate)) doesn't account for incidents that are closed over time (if a ticket was 30+d outstanding as of March but then is resolved in April, it will fall off the report; see below).

I should also point out that I do have a calendar/date table and there is a relationship between the Date and Incident Tables (Open Date). However, I tried creating a reference to the Incident table to test removing the relationship but that also didn't work. 

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.