Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChrisBroome
Frequent Visitor

Capacity planning - how to format data table

Hi,

I've been tasked with setting up a dashboard in PowerBi, allowing others to have access to the capacity data for each of our teams. e currently have this data in a spreadsheet, but it is not suitable for reporting, so I intend to reformat to make life easy for me once I get it into PowerBI.

the problem is, I can't figure out a way to lay out the table that allows me to get the data into it easily, plus allow me to make updates in future (which I'll need to do manually).

so far, all I can think of is having the followign columns;

Individual Name, Team Name, Date, Available (Yes/No)

But this would require a row per person for every single date in the calendar, which would quickly become annoying to manage and rather unwieldy.

Can anyone suggest an alternative approach?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @ChrisBroome 

The excel you provide is not in a standard format.

I'm afraid that  you have no choice but  to manually convert it into a standard table.

It is suggest to open a support ticket to get dedicated support from the Microsoft personally.Maybe they will have better advice.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

ChrisBroome
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @Fowmy 

Link to an example of what i'm starting with can be found here

I want to be able to reflect this information in PowerBi, in the simplest way possible. As it stands, PowerBI cann't read this as it's not in a tabular format

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@ChrisBroome 

The columns and the layout you presented is a good tabular layout and easy for analysis. You can use Power Query to organize any messy data by the way.

Not clear about your requirement.Can you share some sample data and the expected result to have a clear understanding of your question?
You can save your files in OneDrive, Google Drive, or any other cloud sharing platforms and share the link here.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.