Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

manaryo93
Frequent Visitor

Capacity A SKU VS EM/P SKU

What is the difference between A SKU and EM SKU

I know A SKU is under Azure and billed by hour , while EM SKU have yearly commitment and under Office

Currently we have custom application and we embedded in it reports, we are using A1 SKU and its working fine

Can I switch to EM SKU? is there any limitation? Will my Embedded report stop working in EM1 ?

I read somewhere that

Azure A1: the report is incorporated (embedded) in an external software/application. Examples: portal/system/external company software.
EM1: the report is incorporated (embedded) in an internal software/application. Examples: SharePoint, Intranet, internal company software

what does it mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @manaryo93  

The table below provides a summary of features, the capacity they require, and the specific SKU that is needed for each one.

In this table, a custom app refers to a web app created using embedded analytics. When you embed to a custom web app as a developer (using the JavaScript or .NET SDKs, or the REST APIs), you have the ability to control and customize the UX. This ability is not available when you use other embedding options, such as Power BI service and Power BI Mobile.

vzhangti_0-1646643757055.png

A SKUs and EM/P SKUs are identical in their resources and capabilities.

i.e, A1=EM1, A3=EM3, A4=P1 and so on...

It means that what ever EM/P SKU that you can upload a 10GB report, you can do that for the equivalent A SKUs.

Same goes for refreshes and DirectQuery, and so on..

Main differences are:

1. A SKUs valid on for Power BI Embedded scenario, while EM can be valid in embedding for Power BI users as well.

2. P SKUs can be used for consuming content through PBI.com or the mobile app, while A/EM do not.

3. A is billed by the hour, and can be paused, while P&EM are billed on monthly/ yearly commitment.

Here is the related document, hope it can help you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-capacity?tabs=gen2 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PBI_Monkey
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered in reference to the above question, but I'm in the same boat with my company regarding upgrading to a Capacity.

We would like a number of users to be able to view reports via app.powerbi.com(Service) and have a larger number of reports we are embedding into a custom app (done by developers at my company).

We've tested and developed the Custom App(website) and the embedding and row level secutity is working well.

Once the user signs into the Custom App(Website), the user gets authenticated and then the User can select a Power BI Report from a drop-down.

My main question is:

1) Would we have to upgrade to a E3 Capacity or P1? Our datasets are around 1GB and refresh a few times a day.

2) Apart from cost and performance between these 2, for the E3 SKU, would we still need to assign licenses to users to 'View' reports. I know the user(s) who are creating reports/content, require a PRO/PPU License, but do all the users who are Viewing the reports in the custom app or via the Power BI Service have to each have a license assigned to them. These users will be viewing and not editing or publishing.

3) For the E3 SKU, it mentions that you can only embed reports in Sharepoint or Teams or some Microsoft portal, so is this only the case. Or can you embed for Customers using your custom app/website?

From my understanding, the P1 SKU allows free users to View reports, without having to assign a license to each user. E3- The licensing part of this is quite ambiguous.

I've been reading the documentation on Microsoft for weeks now and some of the details regarding E3 SKUs are fairly muddled up.

Thank you!

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @manaryo93  

The table below provides a summary of features, the capacity they require, and the specific SKU that is needed for each one.

In this table, a custom app refers to a web app created using embedded analytics. When you embed to a custom web app as a developer (using the JavaScript or .NET SDKs, or the REST APIs), you have the ability to control and customize the UX. This ability is not available when you use other embedding options, such as Power BI service and Power BI Mobile.

vzhangti_0-1646643757055.png

A SKUs and EM/P SKUs are identical in their resources and capabilities.

i.e, A1=EM1, A3=EM3, A4=P1 and so on...

It means that what ever EM/P SKU that you can upload a 10GB report, you can do that for the equivalent A SKUs.

Same goes for refreshes and DirectQuery, and so on..

Main differences are:

1. A SKUs valid on for Power BI Embedded scenario, while EM can be valid in embedding for Power BI users as well.

2. P SKUs can be used for consuming content through PBI.com or the mobile app, while A/EM do not.

3. A is billed by the hour, and can be paused, while P&EM are billed on monthly/ yearly commitment.

Here is the related document, hope it can help you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-capacity?tabs=gen2 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@manaryo93 , depend on the model. But a common dimension can switch based measure(userelationship)

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in...

Change axis - bookmark

Axis Slicer
Three approaches from Guyinacube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmzb5UMkXw
Dynamically change chart axis in Power BI

Hi @amitchandak , Can you clarify more. I saw that the specifications for EM1 and A1 are exactly the same for the cores and Ram. SO what is the use of EM1

@manaryo93 The A sku's are intended for ISV's developing applications that want to embed Power BI content into their applications. The EM sku's are for organizations that want to embed Power BI content into SharePoint, Teams, etc.

Power BI Embedded, SKU Differences and Cost Breakdowns – IT Consultant on the edge (jlsql.blog)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.