Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan0585
Advocate II
Advocate II

Canvas Sliding Around in Power BI Desktop

Hello -

When I place a visual on the page in Power BI desktop, and I try to drag that element to the right side of the canvas, the canvas "shifts" and there's no scroll bar visible to scroll back to the left side of the canvas.  Is there any way to turn this off?  It's quite annoying.

My current workaround is to just have an element on the page I click and drag over to the left side of the canvas, allowing it to scroll back.  Still, I'd like to lock my page dimensions without the canvas scrolling without scroll bars.

I should note, this happens any time something is dragged to the right side of the screen, whether I'm actually dragging a visual, or resizing a visual out to the right.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan0585

Which version of desktop or page size do you use? 

Please check "Format"->page size->type to see the page size.

I make a test with power bi desktop (September 2018),

when i open power bi desktop, page size is set to 16:9 by default, my visuals on the report page(the visual display on the rightmost side of the canvas)

2.png

Then i change the page size to 4:3, the canvas doesn't show all visuals, then i drag a new visual on the canvas, it can shift to the right side of the canvas and there is no scroll bar visible.

3.png

If your are also in this scenario, i would suggest you to set the proper page size so that all visuals are visible.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ryan0585

Which version of desktop or page size do you use? 

Please check "Format"->page size->type to see the page size.

I make a test with power bi desktop (September 2018),

when i open power bi desktop, page size is set to 16:9 by default, my visuals on the report page(the visual display on the rightmost side of the canvas)

2.png

Then i change the page size to 4:3, the canvas doesn't show all visuals, then i drag a new visual on the canvas, it can shift to the right side of the canvas and there is no scroll bar visible.

3.png

If your are also in this scenario, i would suggest you to set the proper page size so that all visuals are visible.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

I too am using the latest Power BI desktop version.  While your response didn't directly solve my problem, your suggestion helped me resolve this on my own (so of course I voted your response up and accepted it Smiley Happy).

For others who may be experiencing this:

The problem is that I adjusted the page size to a custom range (75% of 2k, or 1535px by 810 px) and also started with another tab (to maintain formatting and slicers consistently between tabs).

While the ~2k page size seems larger than most defaults, it actually served as a reduction in the page size from the previous (source) tab, which was at 4k.

When I reduced the page size, I missed a tiny little card off the page to the right, which I only saw once I bumped the page size back up to 4k.  When I deleted the card and reduced the page size back down to my pseudo-2k resolution, no more scrolling!

To the Power BI team

It would be nice if there was a better way to identify off-page visuals resulting from adjusting the page size, like a giant red banner at the top of the page (in the desktop pbix file).

Thanks @v-juanli-msft!

Choose the Custom option under Type under Page size, set the width to cover your visual(s) and then, on the Power BI Ribbon on the View tab, set the Page view to Actual size.

A horizontal scrollbar will appear when needed.

ryan0585
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello -

When I place a visual on the page in Power BI desktop, and I try to drag that element to the right side of the canvas, the canvas "shifts" and there's no scroll bar visible to scroll back to the left side of the canvas.  Is there any way to turn this off?  It's quite annoying.

My current workaround is to just have an element on the page I click and drag over to the left side of the canvas, allowing it to scroll back.  Still, I'd like to lock my page dimensions without the canvas scrolling without scroll bars.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors