Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynnsop
Helper I
Helper I

Cant select value in barchart

Hi all!

I've come accross a problem whichs fix I cant seem to find out. Also I cannot reproduce this behaviour in a new PowerBI Project/File with the exact same Sourcedatafile.

The subject describes it already kinda precise. I can't drag a String column into the Values field of a barchart in this one specific PowerBI Project.
Normally I can drag in a String value and select the count of this string, as shown here in another PowerBI Project:

lynnsop_3-1618839741939.png

In my case though this isnt possible anymore. I cant even drag the column "rusult" into the Value field. It seems like the String does not get count as you can see here:

lynnsop_4-1618839909936.png

The tables from the 1st and 2nd screenshot are identical.

It seems like I have disabled the option to add a String column to the "Value" Field because I cant drag in any string in any visualization where the field "Value" exists.

Is this a common problem which is easy to fix? Otherwise I have to completly recreate the report in a new Project.

Thanks in Advance!

4 REPLIES 4
negi007
Super User II
Super User II

@lynnsop Can you try to create a measure that will count values from the column. Then you can use this measure in your chart, see if that works for you. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me here

Hi @negi007 

This was my initial workaround. But this has the effect of me not being able to select Fail/Pass seperately and filter dependent on this (other charts). 

So unfortunately this does not work for me anymore, thanks anyways! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User IV
Super User IV

@lynnsop , check if there some other reason. Like when you use legend and try to drag the second column in values, it might not allow a second or text column as the first column?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! YouTube Channel !! Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

@amitchandak 

It does not allow me to drag String Columns into the Values field for some reason. So moving/dragging or anything related to this does not fix the problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - June 24th

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors