Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lynnsop
Helper I
Helper I

Cant select value in barchart

Hi all!

I've come accross a problem whichs fix I cant seem to find out. Also I cannot reproduce this behaviour in a new PowerBI Project/File with the exact same Sourcedatafile.

The subject describes it already kinda precise. I can't drag a String column into the Values field of a barchart in this one specific PowerBI Project.
Normally I can drag in a String value and select the count of this string, as shown here in another PowerBI Project:

lynnsop_3-1618839741939.png

In my case though this isnt possible anymore. I cant even drag the column "rusult" into the Value field. It seems like the String does not get count as you can see here:

lynnsop_4-1618839909936.png

The tables from the 1st and 2nd screenshot are identical.

It seems like I have disabled the option to add a String column to the "Value" Field because I cant drag in any string in any visualization where the field "Value" exists.

Is this a common problem which is easy to fix? Otherwise I have to completly recreate the report in a new Project.

Thanks in Advance!

4 REPLIES 4
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lynnsop Can you try to create a measure that will count values from the column. Then you can use this measure in your chart, see if that works for you. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Hi @negi007 

This was my initial workaround. But this has the effect of me not being able to select Fail/Pass seperately and filter dependent on this (other charts). 

So unfortunately this does not work for me anymore, thanks anyways! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lynnsop , check if there some other reason. Like when you use legend and try to drag the second column in values, it might not allow a second or text column as the first column?

@amitchandak 

It does not allow me to drag String Columns into the Values field for some reason. So moving/dragging or anything related to this does not fix the problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.