Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TalAruety
Helper I
Helper I

Cant open my pbix file after deleting dataset fro the service

Hi

I had a dataset named A, to which i connected from a B.pbix report as a power bi service datasource.

I deleted the Dataset A from the Workspace it was published to, and now cant open B.pbix for editing, even after republishing the dataser A.pbix to the same workspace.

I put a lot of design work into B.pbix and would very much like to be able to open it and replace its dataset to the data set i published to the same work space,

When i try to open B.pbix on power bi desktop i get this:

After trying to open B.pbixAfter trying to open B.pbixafter selecting "edit" on the error promptafter selecting "edit" on the error prompt

9 REPLIES 9
tahga
Frequent Visitor

There seems to be a bug in the October version of Power BI Desktop regarding using the Power BI Service live connection as the data source. Rollback to the September version and you should be able to change the Power BI Service dataset your report is connected to.

I had similar issues and managed to break all reports connected to a dataset in an app in our customer's environment which was not very nice! I was able to partly reproduce the error in My Workspace:

I created a new report based on "Sales dataset" using the Power BI service live connection in Power BI Desktop:

Capture.PNG

After publishing the report for some reason it creates another dataset in Power BI service with errors:

Capture2.PNG

This also broke the original "Sales dataset" so that it was not refreshable anymore and all reports & visuals pointing to it were displaying an error message.

Re-publishing the "Sales dataset" from Power BI Desktop did not fix the issue. Instead I had to unpublish the app, remove "Sales dataset" (also removing all related reports), downgrade to Power BI Desktop September 2017 version and republish everything.

In the future I'll test new versions of Power BI Desktop first...

Hi @tahga, thanks for you reply!

How can i role back to a previous powerbi desktop version?

powerbi site only allows to download the latest.

thanks!

Hi @TalAruety,

Please mark the useful or helpful reply as answer, more persons like you will benefit from here. Thanks very much.

Thanks,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

I am still stuck with this.

Had to prepare my reports from scratch

There is a possible workaround mentioned in the following link https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Source-published-in-Power-BI-Service-deleted-PBI-Deskto...

But it involves getting hold of september version of Power BI Desktop...

I'm really hoping this will be addressed in the December version of Power BI Desktop. This is effectively killing any reasonable development process for larger projects at the moment!

Br,

Magnus

Hi @TalAruety,

I got the September version from here: https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TalAruety,

>>I had a dataset named A, to which i connected from a B.pbix report as a power bi service datasource.

You create a B.pbix including datasetA, right? If my understanding is right, the report and dashboard also be deleted as follows after test,

1.PNG

In addition, you said "even after republishing the dataser A.pbix to the same workspace", you create another A.pbix including Dateset A? It's really confusing. If you want to change B.pbix file including datasetB to datasetA, we can't do it in Power BI service. You need to change it in Power Query Editor, more details, please review the following article.

https://workingondata.wordpress.com/2016/07/05/power-bi-change-of-data-source-settings-got-easier/

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Thank you for the reply.

Ill explain in more detail as it is confuising.

My working model is:

I create a model in a PBIX file (in this case it was A.pbix)

I publish the model to the service, a dataset named A is created in a certain workspace, and from this moment dataset A onl;y serves as a model, not as a reports.

Now, i build many reports, for example B.pbix, C.pbix which connect to dataset A as a datas ource from the power bi service.

In my case i created A.pbix, and published.

Then created reports B.pbix and C.pbix and published (which usese dataset A as datra source)

Then i deleted dataset A from the workspce to which i published.

No, when i try to open B.pbix or C.pbix files in my desktop, i get the errors i showd.

I assume that the files are searching the dataset, and as its no longer in the service they are failng.

I still have my model A.pbix file, so i figured if i republish it to the same workspace, maybe it will solve the issue, and 

B.pbix and C.pbix files will find thier source, but it did not solve it.

As for the aritcle you published, i cannnot even get to the point of editing my datasources, as the report files, B.pbix and C.pbix will not even load into power bi desktop.

Hope this is clearer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.